MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Sheath/Holster Makers Forum

The Sheath/Holster Makers Forum This is the place to discuss all forms of sheath and holster making.

Old 06-21-2005, 10:50 AM
Skilled

elk antler sheath???

Hey guys.
I tried searching the forums for this topic, but haven't been able to find any references. I'm hoping to get some ideas for a new sheath I'd like to build. I'm interested in making a sheath out of elk antler and wood. I have a piece of elk antler that is very flat and is completely solid bone with no pith. Almost flat like a moose antler. It was a freak antler and looks very cool. I was wondering if just cutting it in half and hollowing it out with the blade profile would work and possibly lining it with pigskin to protect the blade. I figure I could liven it up a little with some burl wood on the top and bottom and contour it a little. Anyone ever make a similar sheath? I only have one shot at it because it's such a unique antler, so I wanted to get your opinion first. Thanks a bunch.

-Dave
Old 06-21-2005, 11:40 AM
Skilled

the scandinavians have been using antler for sheaths for centuries. you might try goggle.com for nordic or saami knives for some pictures.here's a small tutorial for one.

Antler sheath
Old 06-22-2005, 10:26 AM
Skilled

That's a great link. Thank you! I never thought of carving the antler, but that sounds like a good idea. I'm going to give it a try and see what happens. Thanks again.

-Dave
Old 06-22-2005, 10:28 PM
Guru

Dave, I have never tried it on antler,but it sounds cool.The only thing that I am curious about is the seam created when gluing the halves back together.This is relatively easy to hide using wood. Not having seeing an antler sheath up close I don't know what this looks like.My thought on it would be to make the seam pronouced by making a wood welt out of the wood you are using for the top and bottom.Just my $.02, but I sure would like to see it when your done.Dave

Tags
blade, knife, knives