MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Ed Caffrey's Workshop

Ed Caffrey's Workshop Talk to Ed Caffrey ... The Montana Bladesmith! Tips, tricks and more from an ABS Mastersmith.

Old 02-17-2012, 12:35 AM
Master

Thanks for showing the new knife John. Really interesting clip/spine effect. Gotta admit, I like your campsite. Too bad about the fishing, I guess you can't have it all.

Take care, Craig
Old 02-17-2012, 04:17 AM
Steel Addict

I also looked and could not find the thread by John White.

Any idea of what I can be doing wrong with my search?

Jeff
Old 02-17-2012, 09:38 AM
Skilled

Thanks again for the comments guys. I really appreciate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rog View Post
I'm not satisfied with my blade finishes. I have so much to learn. How did you get that beautiful blade to come out like that?
Hi Rog. Nothing secret or magical about the finish. It just requires a good foundation. This blade is etched in FeCl, of course. But prior to that it has a pretty much flawless 1200 grit finish. I finished grinding with a 400 grit belt then started hand sanding at 400. I changed sanding directions with every grit to make absolutely sure that all the previous grit scratches were gone. For example, I started with 400 and sanded parallel to the cutting edge, then sanded with 600 at 45 degrees to the cutting edge, 800 grit parallel with the edge, 1000 grit 45 degrees to the edge and so on. That's all there is to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dana Hackney View Post
That piece is beautifully executed. Can you point me to John White's thread that you referred to?

Best regards,
Dana
Sorry about the confusion guys. John White's thread was on another forum. Hope Ed doesn't mind me posting the link here. It's a WIP thread so you'll have to sort throught some other posts. Here's the link.

http://www.customknifecollectorsasso...ead.php?t=1674

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdent View Post
Thanks for showing the new knife John. Really interesting clip/spine effect. Gotta admit, I like your campsite. Too bad about the fishing, I guess you can't have it all.

Take care, Craig
Good one Craig. This made me laugh.

You have nothing to fear but fear itself...........and bears.
Old 02-17-2012, 10:54 AM
Skilled

Thanks, John

for the link!

Dana
Old 02-17-2012, 11:28 AM
Enthusiast

Thanks so much John, I have so very much to learn. It's knives like your's that keeps me ignoring the arthritis, Ha, Ha. Clean purposeful, and elegant. I'm not so much on "fancy" but I do like just the right amount. That's not to say I'm not in awe of some of the art knives too. But, I do like a knife that I will use and make memories with. Yours sure fits the bill! I have got to get some more various grit belts.

Tags
awesome, beginning, blade, bowie, edge, grinding, guard, handle, holsters, knife, knives, sheath, steel