MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Ed Caffrey's Workshop

Ed Caffrey's Workshop Talk to Ed Caffrey ... The Montana Bladesmith! Tips, tricks and more from an ABS Mastersmith.

Old 06-01-2022, 09:12 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Ed Caffrey Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Caffrey
Beaumont is now offering the "Caffrey Platen"!

Beaumont Metal works (makers of the KMG grinders) is producing/offering "The Caffrey Platen"!
Hint: coming soon, Beaumont will offer a platen face that will come ready for you to apply glass! If you're not familiar with glass on a platen face...then you have really been missing out! I/KMT have a video coming soon that will show you how to apply glass to a platen face.

https://fb.watch/dnaTStP3F-/

Heres a link to the product page on Beaumont Metal works website: https://beaumontmetalworks.com/product/caffrey-platen/

The video explaining setup and use is located here: http://www.caffreyknives.net/grinder_platen.html

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."

Last edited by Ed Caffrey; 06-30-2022 at 10:19 AM.
Old 06-01-2022, 06:25 PM
Master

Looks great! Thanks for making life easier for making subtle non-wrench type adjustments for that machine!

That reminds me to see about adapting a lever release for some of the Burr King attachments. Getting out the hex key is a PITA

Old 06-02-2022, 12:02 AM
Super Moderator

Awesome!

Wonder who they named it after?

Old 06-03-2022, 06:10 AM
Master

Good stuff Ed, it's gotta be over ten years that you have been using that attachment. Lots of mileage on the design.
Old 06-03-2022, 12:50 PM
Enthusiast

I will be there bright and early in the morning. I will have to check these out. Thanks for making me spend more money at Blade Ed.
Old 06-04-2022, 07:43 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Ed Caffrey Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Caffrey
It's only money! I'll wait till after Blade before I show everyone my new toy.

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."
Old 06-07-2022, 09:16 AM
Enthusiast

Well I saw the Platen and I like it a lot. I will be buying one next month. It would be great if they would offer it as an option with a new grinder package I think it may all but eliminate the need for a small wheel holder and small wheels. I was thinking as I looked it over that when I have one I would only need to change to my 12 inch contact wheel to profile (I do not hollow grind). Between the two different sized contact wheels on the platen I may not have to change to my small wheel holder because they will cover most of the contours I use. Well thought out concept Ed.
Old 06-07-2022, 12:14 PM

I have 2 of Eds original platens. One with a shorter platen as in Ed's original design and one without the platen for slack belt. There alot of thought in its design. The different sized idlers allow for shaping of handles and blades. The locking lever allows you to rotate the platen for more comfortable grinding positions and less worries about where the belt is in relation to other parts of the knife. There is an UNlearning curve involved. IT Takes time to realize your platen can now move to fit your needs. My suggestion would be to take the first day just playing with it. Grab a piece of junk metal and learn what the idlers can do in shaping.. Same with handles, grip a piece of pine and make a couple handles. You'll find that locking lever us your friend.
This is a really nice addition to my tools arms.
As an aside. Ed's short platen makes this caffrey platen even nicer. But Ed can tell you about that.

Tags
a, apply, awesome, bee, blade, blade show, burr king, design, dna, grinder, hollow grind, how to, kmg, knife, makers, making, metal, package, profile, release, show, small, videos, wheels, wrench