MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 01-06-2014, 06:51 AM

The real trick (even with the internet) is to pick a simple straight forward steel and process. Work with it until you get it right and can consistently produce the results you desire/expect. Once you get these basics down and habitual then experiment with the more sophisticated materials. The basics will always be the same, you just adjust to match the material.
If you don't like reading on the computer, pick out a good well known maker's how-to book and stick with his recipe until you get it right. You can dogear the pages and have that reference right in front of you while you work (usually get a few decent pictures to boot).

Although olive oil smells better, cheaper canola oil is more consistent over time. Olive oil tends to lose it's "speed" much quicker if you do more than a few blades. As said - don't use motor oil, too many additives cause problems and there is no telling what is in the vaporized smoke.

Registered Master Artist - GA Council for the Arts
C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H
Old 01-06-2014, 02:59 PM
Skilled

Give Aldo Bruno (New Jersey Steel Baron) a call and get 4 feet of 1084. Should cost you around $25 after shipping (give or take).

Start with a basic design, not a lot of curves, grooves, bolsters, etc... and when you're ready to heat treat, you can probably get away with a charcoal forge and a hair dryer, a one/two brick forge and a propane torch, or you could even send it to somebody.

Be careful now, this gets addicting!

For the word of God is living and active and sharper than any two-edged sword.... (Hebrews 4:12)

My YouTube Channel: www.YouTube.com/ARCustomKnives
Check it out and Subscribe!
Old 01-06-2014, 03:01 PM
Skilled

Oh, and I agree with the statement about canola oil being a better choice for a basic quench. Preheat to about 120 or 130 Fahrenheit.

Tempering can be done in a toaster oven.

For the word of God is living and active and sharper than any two-edged sword.... (Hebrews 4:12)

Old 01-06-2014, 08:09 PM
Enthusiast

Ordered 1084 and some 440c from New Jersey Steel Baron. And......
I HIT THE JACKPOT!!! Was talking to my father in law about my new venture, he told me he has an old knife grinder / belt sander that take the 2" belts like you all use. It came from an old super market and its now mine to use. Whoooo Hoooou!!! Thanks again for all the help. I'm sure I'll need more though. lol.
Old 01-06-2014, 08:29 PM
Skilled

that's awesome! be sure to throw up some pics when you get it.

Old 01-06-2014, 08:38 PM
Enthusiast

Will do. I'm like a kid at Christmas right now. But I have to go to work in the morning, just off long break. I hope to get it this weeked. But the wait is going to be a killer.
Old 01-07-2014, 04:44 AM

Nice how good things show up sometimes. Never hurts to toss in the "I'm learning to", "I make", or "I forge" into a general discussion. Find a lot of good anvils that way as well as other tools.
Good deal on the grinder.

C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H
Old 01-11-2014, 09:20 PM
Enthusiast

Recieved some 1084 and 440c from NJSteelBaron yesterday. I have two rough cut out. Borrowed a koch 1-1/2 x 24" belt grinder. It is old and not in good shape. Only belts I have right now are 80 grit. So I'm at a stand still. Plan to step back, regroup, and go from there.
Old 01-12-2014, 05:37 AM

If you have a side grinder and are reasonably proficient with it, you can do your rough profiling and tapering of bevels with it. True them up on the 80 grit then file and sand to near finish for heattreating.
You are not "stopped" just need to get out of the box you built in your mind on how to get things done.
Everybody has some way to skin a cat. Turn your thoughts loose for a bit and see what you come up with.
If you go back to the beginnings, I'd venture more knives have been made without power tools than with.

C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H
Old 01-12-2014, 07:48 PM
Enthusiast

True crex. I do have a 4 x 36 belt sander. Been wood working for many years. Picked up a 50 grit belt today, going to give it a whirl. If it turns out decent, I'll fab a larger flat or table to run the stock across.
Also, bought a couple decent files. All the ones I have are older than I am, And I'm 41. So I thought a couple new ones that were pretty coarse sure wouldn't hurt. Good use of a Christmas gift card.
Old 01-13-2014, 07:52 PM

Hello all, I believe this is my first post. I too am very new to all of this and found this thread to be very useful.

Thanks
Old 01-13-2014, 08:17 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

Welcome Spleify! You should be able to find just about anything that a beginning knife maker would want to know somewhere in these forums using our Search feature. But, if you don't, then feel free to start a new thread and ask for whatever you need to know ...

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 01-13-2014, 10:47 PM
Steel Addict

Spleify, welcome! This is THE place on the web to get real advice about knife making! These guys are awesome, they have been down the road before on almost everything pertaining to making knives via stock removal and forging. Welcome!

Tags
1084, 440c, 5160, bearing, bee, blade, blades, easy, flat, forging, heat, heat treat, heat treatment, hobby, hunter, knife, knife making, knives, make, motor, newbie, skinner, stainless, steel, stock removal