MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 04-06-2015, 05:18 PM
Skilled

First slip back folder- wip

I decided that since I haven't been frustrated in a while I needed to start on a new project. I bought a couple of books, and sketched something up on MicroStation (cadd for designing roads and bridges)

The liner is an unknown ss from alro steel. The spring and blade are 1084 from Aldo Bruno. I ht the blade as I normally do with 1084 and the spring was quenched normally and drawn back with a torch to an even blue. I have to refine the pivoting area more but so far it looks viable. The first headache came from everything lining up prior to ht, but now there is about a .5mm gap between the blade and the spring.

[IMG][/IMG]

I'll keep updating as I progress. hopefully the pics come in as I am doing this from my phone

Last edited by jdale; 04-06-2015 at 11:11 PM.
Old 04-06-2015, 06:26 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

So far, not bad. You have already learned to leave your parts slightly over sized before HT and do the fitting afterwards so that's a good start. Your HT on the spring is probably good but when the knife is finished spend a few weeks opening it and closing it a lot. If the HT is a little off the spring can fatigue or crack. Probably won't, but better you find out now than after you start selling them to people ...

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 04-07-2015, 07:21 PM
Skilled

This is not going as planned. It is rather difficult to get the right angle on the tang so the spring lines up in the same spot when the knife is open as when it is closed. Tomorrow I will be ht and shaping blade #3
Old 04-07-2015, 08:23 PM

Folder making is all about process. The exact steps you do in the exact sequence is 90% of solving the problems you're having. For a liner lock I can tell you how to choose what steps to do in what sequence that will allow you to avoid most common problems but that information has come by building many dozens of liner locks. I haven't built nearly enough slip joints to be able to help you with certainty based on experience but I'll do what I can.

All I can say now is 3 blades isn't so bad at this stage of your learning curve. Also, I'll repeat what I said earlier which is leave the tang and the spring a little longer than you think they need to be until after the HT and finish work is done to them.

As for the spring lining up, that isn't about the tang...its about the placement of the pivot hole and the foot the spring rests on when the blade is closed....

Old 04-11-2015, 02:07 AM
Skilled

Got some more work done on the folder today, took 3 blades to get everything to line up right. This would be so much easier if I had a mill or a surface grinder.

once everything lined up sanded the blade .006" thinner than the spring to clear the liners when opening and to account for the teflon spacers.

Old 04-11-2015, 08:47 AM

So far, so good ....

Old 04-20-2015, 08:51 AM
Skilled

I got the scales glued to the liners with acarglas. For the nail nick I put a dremel cutoff wheel into my drill press and put the blade my drill press vice and pressed it into the cutoff wheel.

Test run with rough shaped scales

scales shaped up. They are stabilized dyed curly hard maple

Final fit up before cutting and pinning

Tags
1084, angle, art, back, bee, blade, blades, building, choose, common, folder, how to, knife, liner lock, lock, making, mobile, pivot, project, quenched, spacers, steel, surface, tang