MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Tool Time

Tool Time Let's talk shop. Equipment, Tips & Tricks, Safety issues - Post it here.

Old 03-13-2011, 01:20 AM
Enthusiast

Forge build question

Ok, this knifemakeing thing seems to be becoming more a hobby of building stuff than making knives. My grinder is just about to the point I gotta spend a little more money, so I'm looking at the next project already. Just one of my silly quirks, always looking down the road and planning the next project before the current one is finished.
Why is it that just about all the forced air forges I see have a side entry for the burner ? I realize you/we want to maximize the swirl effect of the flame and direct it toward the forge wall not the blade stock, hence the position being at the apex of the wall arc. Why not enter from the bottom and direct the flame up one side across the top and partially down the other side ? Essentually rotating the burner position 90 degrees from the popular side entry.
I know you guy's have built alot of forges for alot of years, so there's got to be a reason why things are done the way they are, but it escapes me.
Old 05-02-2011, 05:39 PM
RIP 11-09-2011

I'm sorry to just get to this one now.
Most questions get answered here before I post, but this one had no takers.

There are numerous threads here about making forges, so if you search the issue before asking a general question, many might be answered already by others already, plus it is a great way to learn about something.

Forges generally don't port from the bottom because of gravity and flux.
Many forges enter at the bottom and swirl up, but not aimed up. (if that makes sense)
My horizontal is SO easy to control (to answer the rest) with an air gate.
Gas flow rate is the only other variable to control what type flame you have.
Hope it helps.
Geno
Old 05-02-2011, 07:44 PM
Skilled

Mosparky...Although I do not do ANY forge welding, from time to time there are pieces of my forge bubble alumina and forging scale that fall to the forge floor. Also, i have a "hard" refractory brick that I sometimes use as the floor of my forge. Since things...all things...tend to fall "down" as opposed to falling "up", eventually a port located on the floor will become obstructed with debris and would require frequent cleaning out, although sufficient air flow could alleviate this scenario. As you correctly point out, the only difference in a round forge is 90 degrees, so why not use the side port, and eliminate the gravity problem altogether.
Old 05-02-2011, 08:39 PM
Enthusiast

Sorry I should have deleted the post after I received the answer In a Chat session. The debris falling into the port was indeed the answer I recieved.
Old 06-08-2011, 01:25 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

Here's one of mine where I addressed that question by putting the nozzles at the rear of the forge:

http://www.rayrogers.com/forge2.htm

Been using it about 3 years or so now and still pretty happy with it ....

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 06-08-2011, 11:17 PM
Enthusiast

Teah I seen that one on your site. Looks like a beast. Having the flames more or less pointed right at you didn't look like something a newbie should try. My forge will be oil fired. From what I've found during my research on the burner, it will put out one heck of a flame. I can only hope it will disipate some when aimed at the opposite side of the forge, instead of the door. If I get the nerve after getting aquinted with the burner, I might have a go at one like that.
Old 06-09-2011, 08:04 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

Actually, the flame isn't aimed at the door. The burners enter through the back plate at almost the same angle that they would if they were mounted normally on the forge body. They are angled only slightly towards the front of the forge, basically focused just short of the middle of the forge body. Gives one heck of a swirling effect while not throwing gas out the front any more than most forges and, most importantly, it keeps the direct flame off the steel. Even so, I admit the design isn't for everybody and it isn't particularly easy to build ....

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 06-12-2011, 02:21 PM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosparky View Post
Ok, this knifemakeing thing seems to be becoming more a hobby of building stuff than making knives....

Just one of my silly quirks, always looking down the road and planning the next project before the current one is finished....
haha.... Sounds like we have a lot in common....

For one, I think I enjoy building the tools as much as I do knives, and second, I'm amassing quite the pile of "almost finished" blades and blanks and other projecst that I start but never quite seem to finish before I get another design or idea in my head.

For the word of God is living and active and sharper than any two-edged sword.... (Hebrews 4:12)

My YouTube Channel: www.YouTube.com/ARCustomKnives
Check it out and Subscribe!

Tags
art, blade, forge, forging, hobby, knife, knives, newbie, post