MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 12-17-2012, 10:42 PM

Vertical dents

Hi,

I'm new to knife making and have been flat grinding some small fixed blades out of 1/8 1095 for practice, but havent quite got one I like enough to send to the heat treater. Anyway I'm seeing vertical dents visible against the light and can be felt. The tend to be near the middle or handle end of the blade. I am using a 1x30 belt sander and a jig.

Any thoughts as to what is causing these? theye are serious enough that I will have to remove around 10 thousands off the blade to remove them.

Thanks in advance,

Bob
Old 12-18-2012, 01:38 AM
Enthusiast

A photo would help, I don't have alot of experience but unless you are pushing unevenly with the sanding, or causing the blade to catch/jump alot? What was your process up until the sander? If you're sanding correctly then It'd have to be something from earlier that caused it.

How nice was the steel when you got it?

An advanced knife maker would be able to help you more.

Old 12-18-2012, 02:38 AM
Steel Addict

Howdy Bob.

you usually get these vertical lines when you first start to learn to grind. it comes from holding the blade at the wrong angle to the face of the belt ether when you start the grind or finish the pass on the belt grinder. I'd bet if you measure the line it is at 1 inch ether from the tip or the chol. as you get more experience you will stop getting it.

practice practice, practice.

Erik
Old 12-18-2012, 05:30 AM
Skilled

Bobby Walls...You really haven't given us much info to go on. Are you doing stock removal or are you forging your blades. Since you stated that you have yet to send one out to HT, I am assuming that your grinding is being done on un-hardened steel. A belt sander is capable of doing this on un-hardened steel, but is much less likely to do so after the blade has been HT.
If you are forging your blade, then I'm betting that your problem is coming from drawing your blade out to get your distal taper.
I forge all of my blades, and I have had this type of problem due to the forging process, but I've never experienced it coming from the grinder....but I can see how it could happen.
For grinding, I would recommend that you keep the blade moving and never allow it to dwell on any part of the blade without reason to do so. Also, be sure to allow the belt to do the cutting....there is no need to exert much pressure against the belt. Exerting pressure against the belt can also cause this type of problem.
You may also find that it helps to grind in one direction only....say from the handle to the tip. Grinding in this manner requires that you keep the blade moving at a constant speed and that helps in achieving a more uniform grind. Grinding with a back and forth motion means that you need to move the blade somewhat quicker up towards the handle and slower as you near the tip of the blade. As Eric said, practice.
another point is that grinding with a jig is not really recommended. Most accomplished knifemakers develop the technique of freehand grinding. It may seem like the jig would help to eliminate any fluctuations in your technique...and it can do that...but it also isolates the bladesmith from his work and reduces his "feel" of what he's doing.

Last edited by Ed Tipton; 12-18-2012 at 05:41 AM.
Old 12-18-2012, 09:38 AM

Thanks cnc that sounds exactly right. Im stock removing. my belt is jumping a lot and making a clacking noise, any idea what is causing that?
Old 12-18-2012, 02:54 PM
Steel Addict

My guess is that you have cheap belts for your 1 x 30. Most of them have lap joints and you get a thump each time it comes around. Try getting some butt joints and see I that c pears it up.

Erik

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyWalls View Post
Thanks cnc that sounds exactly right. Im stock removing. my belt is jumping a lot and making a clacking noise, any idea what is causing that?
Old 12-18-2012, 08:43 PM

Thanks Eric, yes cheap belts, I'll investigate finding some better ones. I wrecked the ricasso on this knife. but the grind is now my best yet, so I have readjusted the project to be a hidden tang with steel bolster. Pictures will follow if this doesnt end in the scrap
Old 12-19-2012, 09:21 PM

so I have decided for the current knife to grind 90% of the way on the 1x30 then switch to files to finish off. So far this slower apprach is paying off

Tags
1095, angle, art, bee, blade, cnc, files, fixed blade, flat, forge, forging, grinding, handle, hidden, jig, knife, knife making, making, project, steel, stock removal, tang