MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 09-12-2012, 09:37 AM
Enthusiast

Question kuri edge grind HELP??

im a hobby knife maker i use stock removale & some hand power tools can someone point me to a good how to for grinding the cutting edge on a kukri not a hug one maybe a 7 " blade & if possible how can a hobby maker make those wide shalow fullers on blade thanks any info. welcome
Old 09-13-2012, 08:40 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

I'd probably use files to cut the secondary bevel (that's the edge) onto the blade. After that, a Lansky or similar sharpener could be used to make the edge look even and pretty.

Without a mill fullers will be difficult to say the least. You might rig some sort of grinding tool but you would certainly need some kind of jig to hold it steady. Even if you made a gouge to do it by hand you would need something to guide it. My suggestion would be to take the blade to a machine shop and have the fuller milled in ....

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 09-13-2012, 08:50 AM
Skilled

I have milled fullers on a straight blade, but doing this on a curved kukri would be difficult at the very best. Look at the video in the other kukri related thread - just don't work like this guy does! Clamp your piece down, wear protective gear and work slowly. I think as a hobbyist with limited machinery, I'd try to start the fullers with the angle grinder and finish by hand - files and sand paper - and lots of patience...

Two Mountains Forge
Delta, BC, Canada
www.twomountainsforge.com
Old 09-13-2012, 10:18 AM
Skilled

If I may:

You may be getting ahead of yourself and/or your tools. As I understand it, a fuller is used to lower the weight of the blade without compromising strength and flexibility.

But a Kurki depends on the weight on the forward edge to draw the blade through the cut. So if your Kukri is heavy enough to require fullers for those reasons, more stock removal would seem to be warranted.

If the reason is decorative, then it would be worth it to either have someone mill it for you, or invest in the tools to do it yourself.

As someone who builds on a very tight budget myself, I'd forgo the fullers and do some fancy filework on the blade back and tang, myself.

Jsut my 2 cents.
Old 09-13-2012, 10:50 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

His kukri has a 7" blade so weight isn't the issue. Kukri's have fullers in them to make the blade more rigid. This was necessary in the old days because the steel was of poor quality. Modern steels wouldn't need the fuller at all but it is now traditional on kukris....

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 09-16-2012, 12:46 AM
Skilled

Narrow fullers can be scraped in, wide fullers are a bit more difficult... It can be done with a small wheel freehand, or you could (and likely should) rig up some kind of jig.

Some of those complex grinds one sees occasionally on kukris make my head hurt... good luck.
(it would be nice to know how they are done traditionally, they might know something we don't)

A good friend told me one time about forging "What is there not to like, you get to break all the rules you were told as a kid, don't play with that it is sharp, don't play with fire, and don't beat on that"
Wade Holloway

See some of my work.
Old 09-16-2012, 10:23 AM
Enthusiast

thanks everyone ill forgo a fuller .id like anyones ideas on the edge grind for stock removale to keep it even im not to sure about the more curved areas

Tags
angle, arrow, art, back, bevel, blade, edge, files, grinding, hand, hobby, how to, jig, knife, made, make, sand, steel, stock removal, tang, tools, video