MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 11-14-2012, 03:47 PM
Skilled

latest two

Finished these up today, and yes they finally have a makers mark on them.

First one i made for my dad to use this season during rifle dear season (which starts tomorrow). The knife is just short enough to palm and place a finger on the spine so for me at least makes it ideal for gutting (hopefully) a big buck. The handle is rather boring but it holds alot of sentimental value, i took the wood from his first hunting camp that he sold earlier this year. it was a small sycamore burl on the side of the gravel road that was calling out to be used as a handle. The blade is 1075/80 quenched in parks 50 with home made pins.

[IMG][/IMG]

the second knife was made from a piece of steel i cut a little too short for the knife i had originally intended, so i tried to make a bird and trout knife. I really liked the one that J Doyle posted earlier this year. the steel was a little short to make the blade as long as i wanted but i like it. The handle is bog oak, i dont have the carbon date papers for it but its about 5000years old and from ireland. I am going to seal the bug holes with ca glue as soon as i can get my hands on some. its overall 6.25" with a 2.5" blade 1075/80 steel

[IMG][/IMG]

Thanks for looking, now im off to the deer camp
Old 11-15-2012, 07:35 AM
Steel Addict

Nice and simple. I like them. I actually like the second one better, so I guess your mistake turned out okay.
Old 11-16-2012, 01:03 AM

I like them both and your Dad must be very pleased!

Awesome pins.. My hubby has made his own pins before but it's a pain in the you know what, so we usually order them from Jantz or Texas Knifemakers. Did you make the pins for the second knife, too?

I love the sentimental value of the wood for your first knife and I'm sure that it made it extra special for your Dad. The bog oak is wonderful and the bug holes give it character.

Good luck hunting! (If you're anything like my friends back home in Maine then I won't expect to hear back from you until after hunting season, lol)
Old 11-16-2012, 03:30 AM
Skilled

I like them both! You did a nice job on them. I can't make up my mind which I like the best because I like both of those styles. I have made similar ones myself. Good job! My homemade pins didn't turn out quite as nice as yours, but I did have a blast making them.
Old 11-16-2012, 06:11 AM

JD, nice work. I lean toward the second one myself. More than enough knife for dressing a deer or hog.
GrandMuddy always said if I needed anything over two inches, get the axe. I make a lot of big knives because the customer is always right, but I carry small and efficient knives for real work.
Don't plug the holes! That's part of the beauty of the bog oak.

Registered Master Artist - GA Council for the Arts
C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H
Old 11-16-2012, 08:24 AM
Skilled

Thanks for the comments everyone. I did make the pins for both knives. I use a vacuum method to fill them so its not that much a pain in the butt, i usually make them while sitting in front of the TV. i have so many made already i haven't want to start making more yet. But when i do i will make a tutorial on it.

As for the performance of the knives, they passed with flying colors. Both my father and i used our knives to field dress our deer yesterday. I've never used a knife that was made by me specifically for the purpose of gutting a deer, but these were great short enough to palm and not get in the way inside of the chest cavity, and they just fit so well in the hand that field dressing didnt feel as much a chore.

As to the holes in the bog oak, im on the fence as to what to do. there is one on the reverse side which is on the axis so it is more of a line than a pin hole. Do i leave em be, or use ca glue so they can be seen but no longer an actual hole into the handle?

Tags
art, axe, back, blade, buck, handle, home, home made, homemade, hunting, knife, knives, made, make, making, palm, pins, quenched, simple, steel, wood