MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Ed Caffrey's Workshop

Ed Caffrey's Workshop Talk to Ed Caffrey ... The Montana Bladesmith! Tips, tricks and more from an ABS Mastersmith.

Old 02-13-2013, 11:24 AM

Well, sounds like if it's something that can be diagnosed with a blood test they ought to have enough for a diagnosis! Prayer works, I've seen it. I'll say one for ya.

Shane
Old 02-13-2013, 12:13 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Ed Caffrey Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Caffrey
UPDATE: Got a call a little while ago from the Doc's nurse.....2 of my tests came back..... HIV is negative (married for 30 years....it better be!) , and my Vitamin D is way low (20, with the normal range being 50-100) told me to start taking a 2000 iu of D3 daily.....said that's all the tests that have come back so far.....more to come.

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."
Old 02-13-2013, 01:04 PM
Steel Addict

Interesting. Lack of Vitamin D can result from not getting enough sunlight, if I'm recalling my biology lessons correctly. And lack of vitamin D can also cause an imbalance in the body's chemistry which can lead to certain levels and forms of depression. Makes a good argument for spending a few weeks on those tropical Caribbean beaches.

Pure cod liver oil (yuck!) is also a good source of vitamin D, but I'd opt for the beach along with a few mai tais.

Best of luck with the rest of the test results, Ed. Sounds like they're finally making some progress. I've got my fingers crossed for you.

Jim T
Old 02-14-2013, 05:51 AM
Steel Addict

Ed, I had this vitamin D problem and I wound up having to take 5000 units per day to get mine up to normal. I am surprised your primary care doctor did not find this!!!!

Old 02-14-2013, 09:01 AM
Steel Addict

Turns out it is actually fairly come up in this neck of the woods me and my dad. Oth have had that before. Since we spend so much time out in the sun during the summer our bodies have trouble keeping up and we have to take D3 as well. No I wonder I always feel better in the summer. Hope that's the worst of it for ya pretty easy fix.
Old 02-16-2013, 04:14 PM
Super Moderator

Well, saw my Primary Doc on Thursday.....not much to report....he's referring me to a rhumetologist, and he says after that a Pulminologist.....and explained to me that he is "getting the ducks lined up" to refer me to the Mayo Clinic. My previous Doc had tried to get me there, but didn't have enough documentation, and the Mayo turned the referral down.
The way I see is just more misery for me, waiting. There's only on local rhumetologist, and he can't see me until at least April. I think I'm gona contact my Doc and see if I can go ahead and try to get the Pulmonology visit scheduled/done while waiting on the rhumetologist.
Been one of those days today......slept for almost 10 hours last night, woke up tired, and have spent most of the day in the chair. This stuff is just plain getting old......10 months and nobody can figure out what's going on beyond the "Nodular Lyphoid Hyperplasia" in my lungs......which shouldn't be causing me all these problems....but then again, all the Docs say it's such a rare condition, that there just isn't much known about it.
I had big plans about forging today.....and start getting things ready for the Blade Show....but just don't have it in me, and if this keeps up, I suspect I'll miss the Blade Show again this year.
Sorry for dragging on....just frustrated and tired of being sick-n-tired.

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."
Old 02-16-2013, 04:43 PM
Steel Addict

Sorry to hear it's more running around for you with not much for answers... Will keep on praying for you. I sure hope to hear better things as more answers come.

Jeremy
Old 02-16-2013, 10:26 PM

Hi Ed, Wes Whipple here, sorry to hear about your troubles. I do hope this turns out well for you. I can tell you the Mayo clinic in AZ is top knotch as I spent a month there myself. I can also relate to the vitamin D thing as mine is at 18, though VA doesn't seems to concerned yet. Thoughts and prayers are with ya sir!Lean on your faith no matter what, I'tll get ya through,,, no matter what. If ya ever wanna chat, I'm no longer hard to find. Wes
Old 02-16-2013, 11:51 PM
Skilled

Hang in there Ed. I was hoping to catch up with you at Blade this year. I am going but just to visit. Well that and the Attu Knife is going to be raffled off. Anyway keep on the Docs and keep your faith.

Prayers still incoming.

Chuck Richards ABS J.S.
Old 02-17-2013, 01:37 AM

Hi Ed,
Have any of the docs ever mentioned Brucellosis - given the military history, I would think that you might have had exposure to some wild animals and/or unpasteurized milk somewhere along the line.
Sorry to chip in with a wild shot - it is only because brucellosis is sometimes difficult to diagnose as it mimics so many other conditions.
Anyway, I hope you get answers and resolution to this soon..
Old 04-04-2013, 06:22 PM
Steel Addict

Any updates Ed?

Old 04-05-2013, 08:40 AM
Super Moderator

Today I got to a Rheumatologist, then next Friday another appt with the Oncologist. On the 16th I have another CT scan, and an Echo-cardiogram. Then another visit to the Pulmonologist, and finally a visit with my Primary Doc on the 23rd.

If nothing concrete comes out of these upcoming tests, I've decided that when I go to see my primary Doc, that I'm gona "stomp and scream" for him to get me out of this local area, and to someplace that can help me. He's already said that we're doing all these tests/appts so that he can build documentation to justify sending me to the Mayo Clinic.
I found it interesting that the Mayo doesn't just allow folks to make appts. The only way to get there is for a person's Primary Doc to send in the request, and based upon the case/documentation, the Mayo can either accept or reject seeing a person.

All that aside, I'm about the same as I've been for the past year.....not worth spit. Pain and extreme fatigue all the time. Here lately I seem to spend most of my time on the couch. I try to work in the shop, but it takes very little time and I'm just wiped out, so I haven't gotten much done.

Not much else to report......other then the frustration of knowing I want to be doing stuff in the shop, and knowing that right now I physically can't do it.

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

Old 04-05-2013, 12:13 PM
Skilled

Hey Ed!

As always, buddy, you know that we have you in our prayers and thoughts day and night.

Are you planning on demoing at Steve still at the end of the month? Wish we could come but we have our hands full with Sandy's 96 year old mom. I've been able to only get a few hours of shop time, here an there, as a result. I think I've only got one knife that's even close to being finished.
I'll post a couple of pics in a new thread.

Take care, dear friend,
Dana
Old 04-05-2013, 05:29 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dana Hackney View Post
Hey Ed!

As always, buddy, you know that we have you in our prayers and thoughts day and night.

Are you planning on demoing at Steve still at the end of the month?

Take care, dear friend,
Dana

can't back out now. Ed, you want some couch time, I'll sit out with you on a lawn chair. The weather will be fine, soak up some sun. Dana that bowie is shaping up nice. You took that blade down to a nice finish before heat treat. Sorry we can't catch up this time around, we'll see you down the road.

Craig
Old 04-05-2013, 06:08 PM
Steel Addict

Prayers sent your way Ed.

Tags
abs, art, back, bee, blade, bowie, build, ca, cancer, common, easy, forging, heat, heat treat, home, knife, knives, make, making, military, post, press, project, woods