MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Community Discussion Boards > Knife Network Community > The Watering Hole

The Watering Hole Weekends, girlfriends or happenings ... no knife talk allowed!

View Poll Results: Are you a blue collar or white collar worker?
White collar 55 36.91%
Blue collar 94 63.09%
Voters: 149. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-17-2006, 06:41 PM
Skilled

im actually quite suprised so far we have more white than blue, i assumed it would go the other way. I guess we must all be a bit like Ben M hiding who we really are. I know a few months ago when i was still learning to fly tey made us wear the white shirts and ties and the whole nine yards and i think i was the only one to regularly turn up with cuts and scrapes on my hands, also my hands often had black stains from the steel and brown ones from the sheaths.
lucky for me the job im working now has a strict dress code similar to don halters, shorts t shirt and sneakers, and on a real hot day thongs.(flip flops)

brett

Australian knife maker extraordinaire
Old 10-17-2006, 06:55 PM

Well
Pure white collar here. Been a bean counter for 25 years and do it now to pay for the priveledge of taking off skin with the 60 grit on the grinder.
More white collar doesn't surprise me. You blue collar types get to work with your hands while us white collars just get to sit behind a desk. The thrill of actually making something is unusual for us.

Steve

Old 10-17-2006, 07:26 PM
Super Moderator

Left off the knife: Yes, I carry a Darrel Ralph designed Camillus Heat at work. Gotta be able to open a package of crackers at a moments notice!

Old 10-17-2006, 08:35 PM

Oh yeah... knife!

I missed that, too.

Yes, even here in urban yuppie liberal blueneck Connecticut, I carry two knives everywhere. First is a small sheath knife. Generally it's a GL Drew 3" utility or my RW Clark version of the same. Sheeple tolerant. Then I also carry a Spyderco large Calypso with a fully serrated blade for those cardboard tasks.

My ninth graders look at me with BIG eyes and say "Is that a KNIFE you are carrying?" Then I educate them on the tool and non-weapon aspect.

Robert: He he he! I spend a LOT of time on my photo work, but I have been putting in 50+ hour weeks in my other job too, this Fall. No rest for the weary.....!

Coop

?? New website improvement for 2010 - Over 5000 images searchable by maker's name! ??
Old 10-17-2006, 09:46 PM
Skilled

Is there a black collar, I am a full time metal banger and horse hoof smoker. I generally shoe 4 or 5 horses a day, use to shoe 25 but the wife said if I did not cut back I would be looking for a different place to live so we cut down . I have read that some of you have calluses so lets see them. I will take a pic of my 36 grit hands tomorrow.

When I am working I usually have 4 knives on me OK 3 of them are hoof knives.

Well since I can't find the black collar button as my collars are usually black when I get home put me in for the blue. Blue collar .

www.turnerknives.com
Old 10-17-2006, 11:49 PM
Enthusiast

Blue collar for me. I'm an electrical contractor and also do most all other types of construction during the course of stringin wire. I try to stay away from plumbing and concrete though 2 of my least favorite things.

I usually carry either ddr button lock kit knife or a reverse tanto recurve(1095) I made just for electrical work. I regularly abuse both in all the ways we frequently advise people not to but neither one has ever let me down.

Max
Old 10-18-2006, 10:04 AM
Living Legend

I do neither. Not sure what color "Job Hunting" would be in so I did not vote.

I did White collar for 18 years in Telecommunications management, the rest of my life, before and after was blue collar. I did everything from mow lawns to manage 44 engineers (High paid babies).

Now, not worth squat to anyone apparently. Overqualified for blue collar and no degree for white collar (working up to high levels in white collar does not count).

Last job was Facilities Tech (Mall maintenance man basically) but lost that when a guy decided to run me down.

So I am preparing to live under a bridge at this time.

Sorry, no knife carrying.

Tumbling down the road at 35 MPH is no fun, TRUST ME!
Old 10-18-2006, 11:00 AM
Skilled

how about "Professional"

I'm a full-time firefighter, been doing it for almost 22 years. But, then again I'm a "Fire Officer" so I most likely fall some where in between "Blue collar" and "White collar". As for my EDC I carry a Benchmade AFCK.
Old 10-19-2006, 08:52 AM
Enthusiast

Blue uniform, so I guess I'll say blue.

Oh, yea. Several knives on me right now and one or two in my patrol bag.
Old 10-19-2006, 11:39 AM
Skilled

I guess if I had to pick I'd say blue. Most of my previous jobs have been technician type positions for high tech companies. But currently I work part time (in my opinion) with a merchant services company that provides credit card processing and all the related stuff with that. They have a pretty neat wireless terminal people use in trade shows that we as knifemakers could use. I also own an e-commerce business where we help people develop secondary income outside of their jobs. Got to have that freedom to do what we want to do. So maybe a little white as well huh.

I have carried a Pat Crawford Kasper for about 7 years now. Havent been able to make one better than his yet.

Bill
Old 11-02-2006, 09:29 PM
Skilled

I'm a blue,, Diesel mechanic, retired, and i don't carry a knife but i have a drawer full of em.. now I'm in my air conditioned shop ( Phoenix,Arizona) all day and loving life.
Old 11-03-2006, 11:08 AM
Enthusiast

Blue Collar Here, I sling old Dodge truck parts by day, out of an upscale specialized automotive resource recycling and reconditioning facility, ( Junk Yard ). I carry 2 knives at work one of those crappy folding knives with the changeable razor blade that I abuse the hell out of , cutting cardboard, scraping paint, rust & grease as well as cutting cosmoline packages, also used for cutting drywall, marking lumber, cutting insulation... in my ongoing (never ending) house renovation project ( the major drawback to marrying an Arichtect ) I also carry a Benchmade Osborne BM940S it was a gift from my best friend, This knife has been my daily companion for the last 4 years, unless I'm flying somewhere then it stays home , don't want one of those TSA baggage checkers "confiscating" my favorite knife

Old 11-15-2006, 11:12 AM
Steel Addict

Blue to the core. General Machinist With the moniker of "Project Manager " behind it, which only means I get the $%^$#%Y^% when the thing doesn't work.
Paul
www.savageknives.ca
savageknives@golden.net
Old 11-15-2006, 10:06 PM

Three jobs: Hospital security officer (tan collar), Tattoo artist (black t-shirt), Substitute school teacher (that's white isn't it?) I'll refrain from voting since I'm not easily cubby-holed.

I'm very interested in Don Halter's job! My military training loosely fits that type of work. I'd like to hear more about it!

I carry my Yellow Bird EDC everywhere and my New York Special (from Drac) when I'm out cruisin' on my bike on the weekends.

www.kansasknives.org

"Drawing your knife from its sheath and using it in the presence of others should be an event complete with oos, ahhs, and questions."
Old 11-16-2006, 07:15 AM
Guru

White Collar here, I'm a system administrator. Computers is all I've done since I got out of the teenage odd-job market. I always carry a cheap pocket knife with me in case any of the servers get out of line... or if I run into one of those infamous "box" beasts and I need to even the score.

See my knives @ knives.caphayes.com

This quote pains me:
-- "Strategically placed blood grooves control blood spray in covert deanimation activities." --

Tags
back, bee, blade, brand, custom, damascus, fixed blade, folding knife, forging, hammer, how to, hunting knife, iron, knife, knife making, knifemaker, knives, kydex, military, pocket, randall, sheath, spyderco, steel, wood