MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 01-24-2013, 11:06 PM

Knives I've done this year

These are some I made for customers this year. Hope the pictures show up. Thanks Chuck
Old 01-24-2013, 11:40 PM

Guys I got a question not sure if this is the place to ask it. I was using felt as spacers in my knife handles and it turned out pretty good using epoxy. But my question could I use strips of felt and coat with fiberglass resin like we do to make macarta. Thought that would work as good as fiber pieces and I want have to buy anything. Thanks Chuck
Old 01-25-2013, 11:17 AM
Enthusiast

I don't see why it wouldn't. Micarta is cured under pressure or vacuum (not sure what the process is). Vacuum will draw the bubbles out better than pressure will, but it may need a combination to get it flat and stiff. If you have the tools to do that then you will get a more consistent part. Otherwise you may have bubbles or voids that could show up when you go to sand them. Also if the resin does not fully soak through it could crush easily if you put a lot of pressure on it when pressing the scales on. Think of it like gravel. By itself it will move around under you when you walk on it but fill the voids with concrete and it cannot move.

Vacuum chambers are or can be expensive. I have several at work and a couple at my house that I built. One cheap(ish) way that I built one for a woodworking friend was a paint pressure pot and a vacuum pump from Harbor Freight. You can find fittings and lines at most box stores (Home Depot, Lowes, etc). Those pots will withstand full vacuum. The pump might not be great quality but if you only use every once in a while then it should last a while. If you need any help getting it set up or if you want me to try to make you some send me a PM and I will give it a try.
Old 01-25-2013, 09:36 PM

Thanks for the reply. I just put the resin on both sides of the felt smoothed it out and layer it to dry flat on wax paper under my barn.

Tags
coat, flat, home, knife, knives, made, make, micarta, paint, resin, sand, scales, spacers, tools, wax