MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions

Knife Making Discussions A place to discuss issues related to all aspects of the custom knifemaking community.

Old 12-22-2004, 03:31 PM
Living Legend

Question Definitions of a gentleman?s carry

Hi,

You may have seen that I working on some other styles of knives besides the hunter I started grinding. In my research on gentlemen?s carries I ended up more confused now than before. I started with Don Cowles, always great looking knives, and branched out from there. The knives I make I have to say look clumsy and awkward in comparison. So I started comparing sizes and the range seems wide. Don's around 4-5" while some up to 10"+.

If I understand what a carry means is a blade that can be carried legally, so meaning in most states <3". Higher end materials to go with a suit, much like in the gun world a barbeque gun.

The other question I have is in the use of carbon damascus vs. stainless. These knives are not going to be used and abused, so toughness is not a main issue. What are the options of the difference of the two?

Thanks for your time,
Jim
Old 12-22-2004, 04:38 PM
Steel Addict

When I think of a gentlemans carry knife, I think of ebony, or ivory scales, with silver bolsters, what I consider the tuxedo of knives. It dosent have to be Titanium with 500 layer damascus and jewels. Most of the "Gentlemen" I know who carry knives are going to use them.

Think about the knife Rhett Butler would carry.

Ivory Scales
Silver Hardware
And a blade you could use whenever it was needed.

Old 12-22-2004, 04:58 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Don Cowles
A "gentleman's knife" should certainly be capable of being used, even if it winds up in a safe deposit box. Size (4" to 6" overall), and classy materials, as well as clean fit and finish, are the criteria that I would use. Mine *do* get used- but mostly for opening envelopes, cutting string or boxes, or paring the occasional piece of fruit. They were not designed for carving tent pegs.

Don Cowles Custom Knives

Old 12-23-2004, 08:57 AM
Living Legend

Thanks for both of your inputs. So I'm definitely a bit big with mine being about 8-9". I like working with pearl and ivory. I'm also really like the gem stone settings and the gold "trim" that you use Don. I fight coping your "trademarks" as I want to make a style of my own, not a "hey there's a cheap knockoff/copy of a Don Cowles Knife."

I know good engraving can add a lot to a well done knife, but were does it figure into the gent's world? Do they look for more engraving or is it about the same amount that you see in other styles?

Thanks again,
Jim
Old 12-23-2004, 09:11 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Don Cowles
Engraving can add a tremendous amount of class (and cost) to a nice knife. Some designs/executions would not profit from it because of the material choices; for example, boldly patterned handle material or damascus might look too busy with engraving.

It goes without saying that engraving a sub-standard knife is not a good idea. You can't make a silk purse from a sow's ear. Having said that, good engraving can really dress up a plain but well-executed knife.

Don Cowles Custom Knives

Old 12-23-2004, 09:15 AM
Living Legend

Thanks again Don. I really appreciate the advise.

Jim

Tags
blade, knife, knives