MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 08-30-2012, 06:28 PM

Some practice pieces

Here are a couple things I have been playing with just to gain some confidence. One is a made out of an old used saw blade (saw an article in Field & Stream and that is what got me started down this path) of unknown metal. The other is Some form of stainless steel that was an old motorcycle brake rotor. Neither are supposed to be nice high quality knives, just learning pieces. For scales on the stainless steel one I have that piece of black walnut that it is pictured on. For the saw blade knife I will try a 550 cord wrapping. I have a couple other blanks that I am working on to gain experience. I also have some more usable steel on order from Alpha Knife Supply so hopefully I can get some of the bigger flaws out of the way before I ruin a decent piece of steel. I will try to post some more pictures as they are available, but I would appreciate any and all feedback and criticism I can get.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg downsized_0830121654b.jpg (20.7 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg downsized_0830121655.jpg (16.5 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg downsized_0830121656.jpg (19.6 KB, 51 views)
Old 08-30-2012, 06:38 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

That saw blade looks like a SkilSaw blade. If it is, then it will be worthless as blade material but you seem to know that already. Never heard of using brakes before, doubt it's good stuff but hard to say. Anyway, you have that under control so practice, practice, practice.

Be sure to practice grinding one of those blades all the way across and on both sides. Other than that, you're on your way ...

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 08-30-2012, 09:45 PM
Hall of Famer

You're off to a good start!

Even if you haven't spent much money on the steel you are using, you have already spent some time. Some makers encourage newbies to try knifemaking on mild steel or what have you, but I think the time is better spent on good quality steel. 1080 is a good steel to start with, and inexpensive once you consider how much time is involved in making a knife, especially when you start using up grinding belts and sanding sheets.
Old 08-30-2012, 10:28 PM
Hall of Famer

I'm with NJ on the mystery metal. Let's say for arguement's sake that you manage to grind a knife that just not quite what you had in mind. A common occurrence with new and not so new knife makers. You could still practice heat treating with it. Plus, even with it being not quite right, you could go ahead and test it to destruction. You can't do that with a knife made of steel that you can't heat treat and you're not going to want to do that with a blade that looks great, but you need to do things like that to build and develop confidence in your skills as a knife maker.

Doug

Old 08-30-2012, 11:41 PM
Enthusiast

Mallen32, Welcome, I to am a newbie still trying to get out my official first knife. I did it the same way you did and I see what NJ is saying. I have 2 or 3 " Practice knives" now that I keep working out my mistakes. It is junk steel because I did not want or ruin my good steel. but now that I have spent 40 or 50 hours on them and several belts and sandpaper I kind of wish I could HT it, but I cant because I know its junk. BUT... In one way, I'm also glad to build some confidence and make mistakes I would have been afraid to make on my good steel. So I see your point also. Oh well, I'm just excited because I finally get to post an answer instead of a question... keep up the good work.

Tags
550, art, bee, blade, build, common, grinding, knife, knife supply, knifemaking, knives, made, material, newbie, post, saw blade, scales, stainless steel, steel, supply