MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Community Discussion Boards > Knife Network Community > This Old Knife

This Old Knife Here is a little forum dedicated to talking about, but not limited to, vintage and antique knives. Pics and stories of special knives or your favorite patterns are encouraged. No experts here. Just guys chattin about old knives and the legends we hav

Old 03-01-2006, 01:12 PM
Hall of Famer

Send a message via Yahoo to hammerdownnow
The origins of superstision is an interesting subject. It may have to do with repeat events with no logical explaination being linked to other occurences happening at the same time. Over time, as granny tells us these things and we pass them along, they just become a matter of fact.

Old 03-01-2006, 01:40 PM
Skilled

Myths and Legends

I love to read about Word Origins and expressions ... what they pertained to then and what they mean today..... God the English launguage is so colorful and for anyone who was not born to it it must be muddy waters......

Old 03-15-2006, 05:05 AM
Skilled

All these legends and no one mentions.....

The Sword of Kahless was the first bat'leth, forged by Kahless the Unforgettable around the 1st Millennium C.E.. Kahless created the sword by dropping a lock of his hair into lava from the Kri'stak volcano, and then cooling the burning lock in the Lake of Lusor and forging it into a blade.
Old 03-15-2006, 08:39 AM
Hall of Famer

I had forgotton about Kahless. Just kidding, he was unforgetable.

Old 04-20-2006, 11:34 AM
Enthusiast

i would personally like to analyze the ground where blacks forge originally was. the building in washington arkansas is a facimile not the original. here a while back they found a hole where a lot of old bowie blades were found (intact) if chemicals etc or leavings of slag etc that may have been used could be found the university of texas might be able to find indications of what was used . perhaps even an archaological dig could add some information. me personal i think he used a 7 step tempering procedure. but who am i to say. when i get the equipment again i think i may have a chance of figureing it out. tom
Old 04-20-2006, 07:50 PM
Skilled

Blacks Forge

For one year my Family and I lived on the bottom floor of the old Jail house in Washington Arkansas... I became very close friends with all the old timers that grew up there as kids to manhood ... these were Farm people ... deep southern Farm Boys... they would take me fishing at their Farm ponds and tell me the stories they had heard when they were Kids
around 1910 or so.... these all related to the James Black legend..... They took me up to Arkadelphia Arkansas and we talked with old folks that was related to James Black....
I wanted to know this James Black and the Jim Bowie connection.... Making Bowie knives was my profession and I felt I owed it to find out.......... Well, in 1973 I moved away from that part of the country and my conclusion was and still is --- James Black was more a Silversmith than a Blacksmith.... He had no secret Tempering processes... Proof--- no provable Black's Knife Blade is around in any Museum or private ownership.... Yes, I know, just because there are no knives now, doesn't prove that there never was any... I'm a realist... There were many a night I spent out there in that old Cemetary where he was buried with a six pack of Beer and my old Guitar playing to all those Ghosts trying to get one to tell me the truth..... I became a skeptic.... But I still want see the Romantic side of History so what's a man to do ?? Print the Legend not the Man......Lloyd

Old 04-27-2006, 12:41 AM
Enthusiast

well i grew up between arkadelphia , camden , sparkman & points west a lot of the old timers there knew more than a person could store. if i had my druthers i'd have spent my life chronicling the wisdom contained in the southwest section of arkansas. but due to making a living much is lost to society. all these scientist's say people should'nt explore or dig at site's. thus much is left unfound. much could be saved by listening to & respecting the old way's. in many way's superior to our own. the old respect of the story teller is lost in this day of video games being in a rush to make a liveing etc. tom
Old 05-11-2006, 09:54 PM
Steel Addict

I greatly enjoyed reading the thoughts expressed in this thread. Lots of good information.
I would like to ask your opinions of the Huber Bowie that figured into prominance some time ago?

Old 05-12-2006, 10:55 PM
Skilled

Bowie

Hello Ed....
Have you ever read the " Handbook of Texas"..?? William R Williamson has a great read called "the Bowie Knife"..... Google search will take you to it...... Lloyd

Old 05-21-2006, 02:09 PM
Hall of Famer

Ed, thank you for reading the ramblings and posting. Seems like no one has any thoughts or knowlege on the Huber Bowie. Could you tell us what you have heard about it?

Here is a link to the Handbook of Texas online (clickhere) that Lloyd was referring to.

Old 05-21-2006, 02:46 PM
Skilled

Bless you Hammerdown, I've been trying to find some info on the Huber Bowie... never occured to me to ask Him...... DAH.....Lloyd

Old 05-21-2006, 03:12 PM
Steel Addict

Lloyd: I am sorry that I did not see your reply until now. For some reason I don't get email notification about responses on threads I have commented.
I will have to look the stuff up, I have it in my file, will do so and respond.

For openers, they were forged by John English at the Sheffield works in Philladelphia, USA. There are some photos of them in Fladerman's book, The Bowie Knife". I will retrieve more information and not rely on my memory. There is a photo of one on page 39 and the index has more. I have some origonal research by an MD down south. He has a knife that very well could have been in Bowies hands. Needless to say it is controversial, but one nice knife never the less and one I really like.

Old 05-22-2006, 05:52 AM
Hall of Famer

Ed, to get email notification. Click on your "User CP" above the post reply icon at the top of this page. You will see at the left your control panel. Scroll down and click on "Edit Options" Then you will see the second box down in the middle of the page,"Messaging & Notification" I checked all the boxes and in the "little white window" I selected "Instant notification" I noticed that after selecting, the box is blue and you need to click once outside the box to make it stick or is will change on you when you scroll. If that don't work, we will get someone to fix it for you.

Old 05-22-2006, 11:32 AM
Steel Addict

Thanks Lloyd, I tried it and we will see what happens. Haven't been able to find the research paper yet, somewhere in my shop.

Old 05-22-2006, 12:18 PM
Hall of Famer

Test for Ed.

While we are waiting for you to find that paper, I swiped a pic off ebay awhile back. It was in an auction for what was supposed to be "the first knife Ed Fowler ever sold". It came with a letter of verification from you. I was wondering if you were aware of it and had a pic for your collection. If not I could post it or send you a copy.

Last edited by hammerdownnow; 05-22-2006 at 12:23 PM.

Tags
blade, bowie, ca, cutting, folding knife, forge, forging, heat, knife, knives, white