MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 08-09-2013, 04:28 PM
Steel Addict

Pin size

I'm looking to make a mosaic pin test piece. I would rather make my own if I can, my local hobby shop carries some nice stock. My question is is this to large or uncommon for pins.

All the brass tubes he has are very thin walled, so I chose the thick aluminum for the test.Any input or advice appreciated
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pin.JPG (131.5 KB, 42 views)
Old 08-09-2013, 07:00 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

Nothing is too large if it matches the size of your knife. That one is probably at the practical limit though. Mosaic pins do not have rules of their own - they are like any other pin when it comes to size. None of the commercial pins and rivets I have ever seen exceed 5/16" (yours is bigger). Most pin stock is from 1/16 to 3/16 in almost any knife you can find that uses pins. For larger than 3/16" most knives are more likely to have bolts - and those will be 1/4 or 5/16 mostly. The exception is mosaic pins - you can easily find them in 1/4" but that's about as big as I'd recommend going in most cases.

I'll probably get shot down for saying this but I'll also offer an opinion that mosaic pins should be limited to collector's knives or, at most, knives intended for very light use. Mosaic pins are soft compared to solid pins and they cannot be peined so they don't hold as well. The glue used to hold them together could have air bubbles inside, it could soften due to heat or water - in short, the pins can come apart on occasion. These are the reasons I don't suggest them for any knife that might be relied on to do anything really important ...

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 08-10-2013, 03:42 PM
Steel Addict

Thanks Ray
Old 08-11-2013, 12:36 AM
Skilled

Im not shooting ray down by any means, but i have used mosaic pins in all but 2 of my knives and have never had an issue with loose handles. Make sure that you scrape the pin up before installing in the knife. I like to put the pin on the table and roll a mill file over it. Also if you use the vacuum method to fill your pins you are almost guaranteed to never have a bubble surprise you while profiling the handle. IF your curious i made a tutorial on youtube.

Tags
advice, brass, collector, common, file, heat, hobby, knife, knives, made, make, mosaic, pins, rivets, tutorial