MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 11-29-2012, 04:11 PM
Enthusiast

USA mark?

Seems a small question to make a thread off of, but I've tried the search function without any results. .

Does anyone here mark USA on their knives? If all the material you use on the knife comes from America, such a mark would make sense, and appeal to alot of buyers. Is there a CON to this?

Or any other mark for your country of origin. .

Discuss!

Old 11-29-2012, 04:36 PM
Steel Addict

Just had this conversation w/ son-in-law. He bought a car part and on the box said made in USA. He got home and inside the part said made china. He went back to the store and was told the box was made in the USA.

Yes people care that is why scams like this work. People want American made.

As for knives being marked USA that usually has to do with the maker. The guy who made this knife lives in Texas, USA. It might include his name or company name or the knife itself might have a name. It rarely has to do with the materials used in this case.
Old 11-29-2012, 05:20 PM
Master

The only downside I can see to it is if you have an ethnic design where the USA mark might look out of place. For example doing a traditional Japanese blade. Nothing wrong with having USA on there, but depending on the design it might detract from the overall theme.

But there are many people that desire US products so having it on there can help. Even here in the Philippines consumers want US products. Unfortunately the cheap exporters know this and will often mark stuff made in the US, when its not.

Old 11-29-2012, 05:24 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

I agree with Lee(piggy). It's a good idea for a maker's mark to include a clue to his location but it would be rare to have USA on there. As long as there's enough info on the mark to find the maker in a Google search that's the important part. But, that is what the location information is about, not where the materials came from. Where the materials came from should be explained in any type of write up on the knife if the information is important and it's only important if something on the knife was made by somebody other than the guy whose name is on the mark ...

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 11-29-2012, 09:06 PM
Enthusiast

So if the materials are from the US of A and it was made there as well, there should be no qualms about stamping that onto the blade?

I know common practice is to mark a knife with your name and state or location, but I just don't find that appealing personally. I'm being young and dumb probably.

Also, what happened to using Hallmarks? Old maker's marks? i.e. the lion for sterling silver, is there a symbol for stainless steel, or other grades of metal? An old mark for America?

"Hallmarks on the reverse side of the above Madeira label, showing the lion passant guardant for Sterling silver, the marks for Birmingham 1844 and the makers mark GU for George Unite."

This may be a silly idea/question, but I would enjoy stamping any blades I make in a similar fashion.

Old 02-02-2013, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUBE View Post
The only downside I can see to it is if you have an ethnic design where the USA mark might look out of place. For example doing a traditional Japanese blade. Nothing wrong with having USA on there, but depending on the design it might detract from the overall theme.

But there are many people that desire US products so having it on there can help. Even here in the Philippines consumers want US products. Unfortunately the cheap exporters know this and will often mark stuff made in the US, when its not.
On that Japanese style one could find somebody to write USA in Japanese

Tags
back, blade, common, design, home, japanese, knife, knives, made, make, maker's mark, material, materials, products, stainless steel, steel, store