MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 01-21-2010, 08:23 AM

Sugar Creek HT Oven

Anybody out there in computer land ever use a sugar creek knife kiln. from what i have read on them they seem like a pretty good heat treat kiln and they are only about 500 buckaroos compared to the $1000-1300 youd pay for an evenheat or paragon. I would post the link but I dont know how. Just google it and you should find it no prob. Im thinking of purchasing one and would appriciate any input my fellow knife makers have. The only drawback i see is the one i was looking at is not very deep so it would limit my blade leingth, but all i really make are skinners, letter openers, and eventually id like to make some straight razors.
Old 01-21-2010, 09:18 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

Never heard of them before but had no trouble finding them with Google. Looks fine for the price but they don't give any real info about it. I'd suggest contacting them and verifying exactly what temps the oven will reach and how much a replacement heating element will cost. You pretty much need to reach 2000 F. You'd need that for stainless blades but even some carbon steels need most of that. I wouldn't want an oven that just barely gets to 1500 or 1600 F even though that would squeak by on many carbon steels. And, all elements burn out sooner or later, often sooner. You need to be confident the elements are available and affordable. If those questions are answered to your satisfaction, then go for it ...

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 01-21-2010, 10:11 AM

Ill contact them and find out the details. At a glance the wattage is the same as some of the evenheats that reach 2000 fh just slightly smaller internal demensions at 10 1/2" deep so i would think it would reach those temps. On the other hand I am not an electrician so thats just me talking. If everything pans out with them this could be a very affordable alternative to a paragon or even heat for half the cost for the rest of you cheapos like myself.
Old 01-21-2010, 10:38 AM
Master

That looks very interesting. They have a longer (24"D) model - still under $500. Please let us know what you find out.
-Dave

"The choice isn't between success and failure; it's between choosing risk and striving for greatness, or risking nothing and being certain of mediocrity." - Keith Ferrazi
Old 01-21-2010, 10:50 AM

Will do
Old 01-21-2010, 11:20 AM
Steel Addict

Theres several threads on these on most of the knife forums. The general opinion is they are good for the money but they are not programable, they have a pyrometer and an infinite switch. Seems like someone called and they would update with a controller for 2-3hundred bucks more. You could probably find a controller for a cheaper price and add it yourself.

Jerry

Last edited by nthe10ring; 01-21-2010 at 10:20 PM.
Old 01-21-2010, 07:08 PM
Steel Addict

I have used a Sugar Creek, and they work great. I'm actually thinking about buying my own. They are not programmable, but they cost about 1/2 as much as an Evenheat.

Old 01-21-2010, 10:51 PM
Living Legend

I got a new 24" model a couple months ago.It works well.Check e-bay as Sugarcreek has someone that sells them new on there.I got my 24" shipped for under 400.I installed a programmable controller I took off another one of my kilns.Its an easy conversion,all I had to do was connect the controller to the kanthal wires.

Old 01-22-2010, 08:49 AM
Steel Addict

Hate to advertise the competition, but on BladeForums John White has a WIP, and is shown using one.
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=701104
Old 01-23-2010, 01:35 AM
Enthusiast

I just looked on ebay. There is one for sale there for $350 bucks......I am new at this but it sounds like its the best bang for the buck.
Old 01-23-2010, 10:20 AM
Steel Addict

Bill,
Is that your bid on Ebay? Did you notice that the shipping is $167.07? YEEOOOWW!!
Bob
Old 01-23-2010, 05:21 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Hartman View Post
Bill,
Is that your bid on Ebay? Did you notice that the shipping is $167.07? YEEOOOWW!!
Bob
Nope its not mine. I don't have that kind of cash at the moment. I just finished up at Mississippi State, and all I can say is the real world sucks haha.
Old 03-24-2010, 08:29 AM

samuraibill, hey buddy I live in starkville and have been making knives for 3 1/2 yrs. You know you have some awesome knife guys right next to you. David Winston, Gene Ingram, Al Alexander to name a few. We all get together at least Dave and Al and talk shop and share Ideas. At least I just listen I can't really share much with those guys b/c they've been at it for so long. Send me an email if you would like cheatham7@yahoo.com
Old 03-24-2010, 09:01 AM
Steel Addict

A guy I know has one. He called them up and they added a programmable digital controller for about $200 more. So that is an option and it would still be cheaper than an Evenheat.

Proud member of PETA....People Eating Tasty Animals
There is a place for all of God's creatures...right next to the mashed potatoes and gravy!
Old 03-24-2010, 06:53 PM

If I remember correctly they are 120v and it will take it a long time to come to temp especially in the higher ranges.

Tags
awesome, blade, digital, heat treat, knife, knives, stainless steel