MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Outpost

The Outpost This forum is dedicated to all who share a love for, and a desire to make good knives, and have fun doing it. We represent a diverse group of smiths and knifemakers who bring numerous methods to their craft.

Old 11-16-2004, 05:30 PM
Registered

Anvil height

Greetings,
I saw a website that had a cartoon character named "dippy duck" describing the correct anvil height in accordance to a persons stature. It also included the correct way to hold a forging hammer. The thing that struck me strange is that they mentioned that incorrect anvil height whether to low or hi will cause carpal tunnel syndrome. Does anyone know if this is true? I noticed that Tim Lively in his video is either sitting or kneeling when he is forging. Would this be an incorrect forging height? To tell you guys the truth. I'm pretty confused and shook up by this! Any information on this will be greatly appreciated.
Thank you!
kara
Old 11-16-2004, 07:56 PM
Living Legend

The duck is correct

Old 11-16-2004, 09:08 PM
Master

I had always heard that a cutler's anvil could be a bit higher than a general black-smith-of-all-work's anvil. Lighter more precise work I guess. When I put the gravel floor in my forge a couple of years ago, I effectively raised the floor, lowering the anvil a couple of inches. Wow, Much better! Especially when drawing down heavy stock. Stand on the floor flat footed. Hold your favorite hammer at 90 degrees from your body and measure the heighth of your elbow off the ground. (or have some one do it. ) BINGO!

Old 11-17-2004, 01:23 PM
Master

When your hand is extended, your hammer face should be flat on your work. So bladesmiths like us, since we work such thin stock, can usually have it slightly higher then a general smith who works thicker stuff typically. If your height is off then you'll dent your work alot because either the top or bottom edge will hit too hard without the rest of the face hitting as well.

Anvil height has less to do with carpal tunnel then the hammer holding technique. Most important thing, and the easiest to do if nobody tells you otherwise, is not to have your thumb go up the handle. It's tempting to do because it gives better hammer control, but you need to have the thumb wrapped around like your fingers if you want to avoid carpal tunnel down the road.

Kneeling at your anvil is the japanese style, I'm sure they have their own methods for determining proper height but I've never heard about it.

Old 11-17-2004, 09:13 PM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by karamasika
Greetings,
I saw a website that had a cartoon character named "dippy duck" describing the correct anvil height in accordance to a persons stature. It also included the correct way to hold a forging hammer. The thing that struck me strange is that they mentioned that incorrect anvil height whether to low or hi will cause carpal tunnel syndrome. Does anyone know if this is true? I noticed that Tim Lively in his video is either sitting or kneeling when he is forging. Would this be an incorrect forging height? To tell you guys the truth. I'm pretty confused and shook up by this! Any information on this will be greatly appreciated.
Thank you!
kara

dippy duck is right
IF u were a blksmith!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
that thing w the knuckels on the top of the anvil was for REAL blacksmiths and wheelwrights!!!!
we r knife smiths
knuckle high and then start raiseing it till u start getn dimples then lower it some
that will be about below belt high most times
NEVER fulley extend your arm in a hammer blowand never raise the hammer above your head
use your shoulder and wrist
(practice with a whip)
hold the hammerpretty close to the head in a pinched grip between thumb and forefinger and whipe it w your wrist and your shoulder as u draws it down

if this dont work ask some other expert
harley
hammer possum

Tags
blade, forge, forging, knife