MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions

Knife Making Discussions A place to discuss issues related to all aspects of the custom knifemaking community.

Old 02-17-2009, 07:02 AM

Problem with Knife Kits

I was wondering if any one else is having similar problems. I ordered some parts back on January 30th and got this very nice email return.

Dear Stephen,

Your order has been packaged, handed off to the shipper and is on the way to you. You should have it shortly.

If you have any questions or need assistance, please call us.

Thank you for your business and please let us know if we can assist you.

Best Regards,
Audrey McNamee

KnifeKits.com
877-255-6433
team@knifekits.com

On February 12 th I still had not recieved my package so I wrote and asked if they had a tracking number or some way for me to find my package. Here is what I got in return.

Search Results

Label/Receipt Number: CP30 0064 582U S

Your item was accepted at 4:12 PM on February 3, 2009 in SENOIA, GA 30276. Information, if available, is updated every evening. Please check again later.

No commentary no advice simply a copy of the tracking.

I wrote back on thw 13th and this is the reply I got.

Customs information:1-800-222-1811

Thats it no other information or anything.

I think knife kits has outsourced thier shipping. The difference in communication style from the initial order to the followups could not be more different. I realize I am in Canada and therefore have to deal with the border but that does not excuse the almost rude behavior.

Anyone else having problems?
Steve

Old 02-17-2009, 09:10 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

I had the same thing a few months back and I'm not in Canada. As I recall, I called them on the phone and found out they use an automated system for shipping for UPS and for Postal service. Basically, they enter your order into their system, you receive an email, and the system prints the shipping labels. After that, you're dealing with the shipper. Both shippers have websites that allow you to track your package . I think this whole system is a little sluggish but a lot of companies use it.

My guess is, your order is hung up in Canadian Customs in which case there's nothing KnifeKIts can do about it. They would only know what the tracking shows on the Customs website and that information is usually so slow being updated that you will probably have the package before you can read about it on the web.

It could be that you ordered something that the Customs people think you shouldn't have and maybe that's holding things up. In any case, it's beyond KnifeKits' reach and the only thing you can do is call Customs or wait some more .....

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 02-17-2009, 09:16 AM

Ray
I understand that the out side shipper is probably saving them money but I can also gaurantee they are costing them customers.

I have no doubt you are correct that customs have my package but a personal response would have kept me happy for another week as it is I highly doubt I will be using thier services again.

Steve

Old 02-17-2009, 09:20 PM
Steel Addict

I ordered 3 kits from them back begininning of Dec, got them in about a week or so, cool. 1 kit missing a clip screw, 1 kit scale screws don't fit, 1 kit ok. Called in and emailed, no answer for a few days, got a call and they are doing iventory, told the nice lady what I needed to make it right, 3 screws. Sh said they would see about fixing it asap. Cool, all I wanted. few days later, 3 more kits show up, so I robbed the screws I needed and bagged it up to return. Got 2 emails, 1 was a bill for the 3 new kits, one was an adjustment. Sent the 3 back, got a refund. few days later, got a refund for 1 kit. Few days later, got annother kit.
I am holding it hostage
Old 02-17-2009, 09:57 PM
Steel Addict

Jeez, Steve, I hope you didn't order anything naughty! You won't be dealing with the OPP this time.

"Suddenly, a knock at the cabin door...I open it, two men stand before me, in scarlet red tunics, one with shackles, one with a gun, and neither with a sense of humor..."

Hope no problems at customs, I was not so lucky.

Old 02-17-2009, 11:39 PM
Steel Addict

Steve;
I am sure that your parts are hung up at the customs office in Canada. I had that problem after shipping a knife to a customer in Canada. After about three weeks, he checked with his local post master and was informed that the Canadian customs was severly back logged and items were being delayed 3-5 weeks on delivery.
Since I mailed the custom knife out of the states I could not get full insurance and I was at the point thinking I would have to replace the knife or refund his money. He finally got the knife. I no longer will ship to Canada for this reason. I also could not find out anything about the package from this end, my customer had to find out that it was at his end and the problem was Canadian customs.
Bob Hatfield

Old 02-18-2009, 06:56 AM

Wayne
Now why would the guys in red be interested in a few springs and drill bits.
Steve

Old 02-18-2009, 09:53 AM
Hall of Famer

This is the result of printing postage online. I do the same thing for my orders in order to save a trip to the post office.

The same things happen to me, only I'm on the other end. I keep track of the shipment and keep in touch with my customer to make sure it's delivered within a reasonable amount of time. If it's not delivered I contact my customer and re-send a duplicate package.

A few weeks ago I sent an order to a customer in the U.S. The tracking info went as far as his home state and then stopped for about a week. Never delivered according to tracking, so I emailed the customer and was told it had been delivered a week before.

Our USPS is evidently run by our politicians now, so we can't expect much from it any more.
Old 02-28-2009, 12:40 PM

I have made several order from knifekits. The old ones were shipped at $6-7 by the postal service. Now they want 20.00 and when it get to me in Ontario I have to pay another 18.00 before they will give it to me. That has slowed down my ordering. The one time I had a problem with a kit they sent a replacement part very quickly.
Old 02-28-2009, 04:08 PM
Steel Addict

Candian customs

I am going to tell you fellows in Canada something that may jerk your chain. When my customer in Canada question his postal official about the long delay with customs. This was what he was told by that postal official.
He related that the exchange rate of U.S. dollars and Canadian dollars was about to change with the Canadian dollars gaining more value. As a result, customs deciced to back log the imports from the U.S. to gain more money on the fees they charge. If this is true, sounds like your gov. is like everyone else's. Screw over the citizen for the almighty dollar.
This was what started the big backlog while the exchange rate was being adjusted. I also understand that UPS has an agreement with canadian customs that allow their packages to go though on a fast tract basis, but the customs charge a higher fee for that service. I sent my knife via U.S. Postal service and even then it was over $ 20.00 to ship it. The UPS fee was much higher.
Did I hear someone mention "Tea Party" meeting at the harbor.

Old 03-01-2009, 07:45 AM

Before this thread gets lost in the shipping times and problems with customs. My point was not that it was taking too long, my point was the complete and utter lack of customer service on the part of Knife Kits. An email back that said, "Yes we know its been taking a while to cross the border but let us know in a week if it is not there" and I would be a happy customer instead of a pissed off one.
Steve

Old 03-01-2009, 04:01 PM
Steel Addict

shipment to Canada

Steve I do not see where the knife kits place could have done anything more for you. They notified you it had been shipped and on the second inquiry, they even supplied you with the phone number to contact your customs office to inquire on your package.
You are upset with the wrong persons, you should be upset with your Gov. runned customs office for the unnessary delay and outright grouging on your high import fees.
I have and I am aware of other bussiness that will no longer ship to Canada due to customers being upset WITH THEM over problems caused by your own customs.

Old 03-06-2009, 05:26 PM
Enthusiast

I don't have anything nice to say about Knifekits, either.

I've never had anything but bad experiences with Knifekits.com. Mis-shipped product, the wrong product, missing parts, ridiculous shipping delays... I'll never order from them again. I've since managed to find sources for anything they offer, and never with any of the hassles I've had with them.

Old 07-06-2010, 12:15 PM

One and a half month I made the order on KnifeKits.com.
On 25th week I picked up the parcel on post office (Russia, St.Petersburg).
But I am not happy!
Two items (most important for me) - are absents. Also, I have found Calipers Analog Dial ? inch in parcel. But I paid for Calipers Digital - Inch/Metric.
We use metric system in Russia. How can I use inch item?
I paid for transportation costs for 6.49 lbs. shipment. But this parcel is only 2 lbs.!!!
During last two weeks I sent several requests by e-mail. Nothing!
No reaction. Nobody sent me reply.
I confronted by such quality of service at first time.

:-(
Old 02-01-2011, 06:52 AM

I have been treated GREAT by the folks at knife kits. ordered a damascus blade for the ddr3bl, and while reaming the pivot hole, the blade totally delaminated. gave them a quick call, and 5 days later I had a brand spanking new blade free of charge. shipped my old one back and still no charge. maybe i spent too much money there last year, so what. I will continue to use knife kits.

Tags
blade, brand, damascus, damascus blade, digital, kits, knife, knifekits.com