MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 02-16-2013, 10:22 PM
Steel Addict

your professional thoughts..

Hello gentleman , What do you guys is the beast field sharpener? Do you believe in the pull through kind with 2 ceramic rods or the small stone in the leather carrier.
Thank for the help,
Clay
Old 02-16-2013, 10:30 PM
Master

I'm not a huge fan of the pull through types because they tend to round off the tip a little bit. I guess it also depends on what kind of stuff you'll be using the knife for. If I'm spending a few days out in the woods I just bring my stones with me but if your limited on space that's probably not going to be practical. I can't wait to see what the other guys have to say. All I've ever used was my bench stones and a spyderco sharpmaker.

Old 02-16-2013, 10:33 PM
Hall of Famer

The best one is the one you have with you when you need it! Seriously? It's whichever one you feel most comfortable using. I carry a short ceramic rod in some of my kits, in others a small fine Arkansas. I know of guys that carry a small leather strop infused with buffing compound, where others take a mouse pad and a few pieces of fine sandpaper. The pull-through kind is generally meant for grinds set to a particular angle, so if your knives are ground to that angle, then you're all set. If not, you may be frustrated with the results.
Old 02-17-2013, 12:07 AM
Skilled

I absolutely love those pull through sharpeners, you know the ones that have 2 carbide blades that peel steel off your blade. They give me a lot of business cause the wear out blades so fast

I pack a small diamond sharpening block in fine or extra fine. Maintain the edge and you will do fine.

Chuck Richards ABS J.S.
Old 02-17-2013, 01:44 AM
Skilled

I carry a knife that stays sharp till I get home. . lol. Actually I have one of those diamond sharpeners in my pack.
Old 02-17-2013, 10:21 AM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodchuck Forge View Post
I absolutely love those pull through sharpeners, you know the ones that have 2 carbide blades that peel steel off your blade. They give me a lot of business cause the wear out blades so fast

I pack a small diamond sharpening block in fine or extra fine. Maintain the edge and you will do fine.
Oh, there's a better one - the one which peels off the steel and does so with an electric motor! It'll cause a curve in your edge in no time! I agree - the carbide wheel gizmos are okay for your average $2 Ginzu knife but I wouldn't let it near any of my good ones. I prefer a stone and water for sharpening, and a good steel for honing. I carry both in my working knife kit (actually a big tool box). If I needed one in the field, I'd opt for a small stone in a leather pouch.

Two Mountains Forge
Delta, BC, Canada
www.twomountainsforge.com
Old 02-17-2013, 12:30 PM
Steel Addict

A quality knife should only use a touch up if needed! I would say a stone! Either a diamond sharpener, or a quality small water stone. Most folks in the field don't carry oil but, do have a little spit for a water stone or a diamond can be used dry.

I hate the carbide sharpeners! IMO They are designed to rip away a layer of steel. Close examination of the edge under magnification will show how rough the edged is left with their use! Quick to use but I just don't like how they leave the blade!

With every custom knife I build I try to accomplish three things. I want that knife to look so good you just have to pick it up, feel so good in your hand you can't wait to try it, and once you use it, you never want to put it down !
If I capture those three factors in each knife I build, I am assured the knife will become a piece that is used and treasured by its owner!

C Craft
Old 02-20-2013, 08:21 PM
Steel Addict

Thanks for the input guys.
Clay

Tags
angle, blade, blades, block, diamond, edge, forge, home, kit, kits, knife, knife kit, knives, leather, rod, sharp, sharpening, spyderco, steel, stone, strop, what kind, woods