MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 09-21-2016, 08:27 PM
Registered

Couple questions on implementing this knife

Hello everyone. I'm working on a new knife, and I've really reached an issue while planning the build. I'm taking a fictional knife and trying to implement it in real life. Basically, in the image below, I've squared off in red my issue.

I'm got 2 questions about it:

1. I'm trying to find out whether that piece goes through the pommel or it should stop at the left side and continue onto the right. If so, how exactly does that work without making the pommel lose?

2. Is that piece separate from the blade steel or is it actually filed down into it?

What does everyone think? Thanks so much for the help.

Old 09-21-2016, 09:19 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

I'd like to say something snarky like, " Sorry, we'd like to help but we only make knives here" but I won't.

Instead, I'll try to answer your questions but with only one picture to work from it will be mostly guess work.

Since the knife isn't actually real the question isn't "how is that knife made" but rather how can you make something that looks pretty much like that. In the real world, if that 'knife' were produced by Frost cutlery or some similar outfit that makes such fanciful creations, that piece you have marked and the entire guard would likely be one piece of cast metal. Its entirely possible that the entire handle and guard would be a one piece casting. I saw a cheap Chinese knife once that looked exactly like a large lockback folding pocket knife, complete with release and hollow body for the blade to fold into. But, it was a one piece casting. So, all that stuff that looks like a tang and a sort of pommel probably wouldn't be.

Back in the real world now, if you actually wanted to make a sort of real version of that thing you'd probably have to learn to cast some parts or spend a great deal of time with some good files. The problem, of course, is the handle - it is way too complex for anyone to specify any simple way to make it. Its going to be very difficult to make no matter how you go about it. To your specific question concerning the tang I can think of several ways to deal with the tang depending on how you plan to make the rest of the handle but I can't say for certain how that tang is made because it isn't real.

For part 2 of your question, all of that other stuff would be separate from the blade steel. You would never try to make anything like that directly from blade steel ...

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Tags
blade, build, casting, cutlery, files, folding, folding knife, guard, handle, image, knife, knives, lockback, made, make, making, pocket, pocket knife, pommel, problem, simple, steel, tang