MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 05-15-2013, 11:05 PM

Another Newb With A Dumb Question

Well hello every one. I'm new to the forum but have been reading/looking for a little bit and must say a lot of the work here impresses me.

Well i have had a pocket knife for a while now and carried it with me during fugitive recovery and other private security i use to do. Never really put the knife to work on anything abnormal maybe except opening some of these idiot proof packages that products come in now, well the tip broke. Long story short the maker does not sell replacements blades and basically told me to buy another knife from them, well that's not happening especially how the tip broke, it looks like it just chipped off. Well i decided to out of a make a replacement blade myself or try to find one.

What i'm looking for is if any one on here ever made a karambit folding or fixed and could maybe point in the direction of a tutorial, written or video. I'm still watching videos on how to make knives and the tools and materials used so im sure ill be a while before i try but the more knowledge i have before i start the more likely i am to succeed. Thank you for your time and appreciate the help.
Old 05-16-2013, 07:32 AM
Steel Addict

Welcome, a couple of random thoughts I'm gonna throw at you. One, that type of blade style IMO is kind of impractical for any type of real use, besides looking cool, but it does that well. Another it is going to be a very difficult style to make due to the concave shape/curve.

Suggestion- If you want to keep the knife if there is enough of it left I would consider grinding the tip down and using what you have, or pitching the thing.

If you want to make a knife, I would consider a much simpler design, which would include making it a fixed blade. There are so many hurdles and complications you will run into as it is, making a folding knife (or just the blade) adds many factors of difficulty.

Take it for what it's worth, but whatever you decide to do, I'm sure you'll find useful help and info here.
Old 05-16-2013, 08:37 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

I agree with what Wynn said. But, if you want to proceed with making that particular blade we need to know what type of locking system your knife uses - can't suggest a tutorial without knowing what you're trying to make. Also, how is your knife put together - with screws or pins?

No matter what, you're looking at a significant investment in time and effort and at least enough money to buy a new knife. You need to define your goals here. If what you really want is to simply fix your knife then regrinding the tip is the smart thing to do. If you want to learn to make knives then you should start with a few kits and work up to making a small fixed blade knife. After you master fixed blades you could go on to folders if you want to. If you really want to make a new blade for this knife then be prepared to make several because it would be like winning the lottery to get the lockwork to come out perfect the first time you try ...

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 05-16-2013, 01:19 PM

Welcome, a couple of random thoughts I'm gonna throw at you. One, that type of blade style IMO is kind of impractical for any type of real use, besides looking cool, but it does that well. Another it is going to be a very difficult style to make due to the concave shape/curve.

Thanks for the welcome. About the blade style, theres pros and cons to having a curved blade but i personally feel with the little bit of training i have had with this style of knife i am more proficient in defending myself then with a traditional. I still use a regular blade knife but in my experience i fell like your more on the offense with a straight blade and with a karambit your more a defensive person. Also i never believed a curve blade could cut deeper with one strike then a straight blade but from practicing in fruit and various cuts of meat a curved blade cuts deeper 75% of the time but thats just my observation. Im sure its going to be hard to make a curved over a straight blade but he just call me a hard headed fool .

I agree with what Wynn said. But, if you want to proceed with making that particular blade we need to know what type of locking system your knife uses - can't suggest a tutorial without knowing what you're trying to make. Also, how is your knife put together - with screws or pins?

I didnt want to put a manufacture out there but i will. It is the first series of karambit that 5.11 made from the tarani series. It held together by screws and the lock is on the back/spine of the handle. I been watching a few tutorials and i think it would be easier for me to start with a fixed blade but i also know its going to be harder to conceal a fixed blade then a folder. I know its going to be harder to make this style and i probably will never find a blank but i just seem to love this style of knife more and more i practice with it and learn about it.

Once again thanks for the help gentlmen.
Old 05-16-2013, 03:08 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

We're suggesting a fixed blade first not only because it's easier but because many of the same skills you'll need for the kerambit can be practiced on the fixed blade. You'll need to cut and shape steel, get it heat treated, put a finish on the blade, and finally sharpen it (which is different than sharpening a blade that is merely dull).

For your lockback blade, you'll need to do all these thing PLUS (and this is a huge plus) you'll need to mate it to the pre-existing lock mechanism in your knife. This will actually be more difficult than if you were making the knife from scratch and fitting the blade. If it doesn't fit correctly there will be slop in it when it is open and maybe even when it is closed. I'm guessing you won't be satisfied with a knife like that.

If you don't practice first on something else then let's suppose you actually get lucky and your new blade locks up pretty well, now all you have to do is put the bevels on it, get it heat treated, finish the blade and sharpen it. So, you set out to do these things and find out you can't get the bevels to line up and maybe you even ruin the blade trying. Now the good lockup is gone and you start over, probably several times. I haven't even mentioned the very real possibility that your perfect lock will need to be tweaked after the heat treat is done only now you're working with hardened steel. Again, the chances of really getting this right the first time are very thin. No real harm in trying though if that is what you want. Maybe you have skills you haven't told us about or maybe you're just lucky but folders take a lot of skill and a lot of luck to get them right....

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Last edited by Ray Rogers; 05-16-2013 at 03:11 PM.
Old 05-16-2013, 08:10 PM
Steel Addict

There's a lot swimming in my mind right now, but don't have the time. But my biggest thought is this, if this has a self defense type purpose, I would suggest a fixed blade even more, I know folding knives can be very sturdy, but with a well placed correctly made fixed blade IMO it is far superior in that aspect. A thin blade can be easily concealed (its no where near the size of my .45 pistol I conceal) and it is in every aspect stronger, more reliable, and you don't have to worry about fumbling around trying to open it in the time of need, which could mean the difference between life and death. Most cases (I would assume, due to CQC nature of a knife) that you need to use a knife in self defense, your going to want speed on your side. Just a thought, I know you want a folder but like Ray said they involve MUCH more time and accuracy from the maker. Trust me, I've made a couple and they are neat to make, but honestly I don't enjoy making them nearly as much a fixed blades, they just have so many aspects that can turn into a headache really quickly.

Last edited by WynnKnives; 05-16-2013 at 08:12 PM.
Old 05-17-2013, 09:27 AM
Steel Addict

That blade style has worked as a utility knife for the people who It's native to for a long time. Still it wouldn't be my first choice. Apparently it's a fairly effective weapon when used in combination with normally unarmed techniques.

I don't know if there's a worse style to pick for a first blade. Regrinding a tip is pretty easy. I've even done it on a bench grinder and had it turn out fine. Whether it looks right will depend on the blade shape and how much is missing, but as looking as you don't get it too hot it should be perfectly functional.
Old 05-22-2013, 08:22 PM

Quote:
We're suggesting a fixed blade first not only because it's easier but because many of the same skills you'll need for the kerambit can be practiced on the fixed blade. You'll need to cut and shape steel, get it heat treated, put a finish on the blade, and finally sharpen it (which is different than sharpening a blade that is merely dull).
Oh i apologize, i thought you meant a fixed blade first like saying i shouldnt carry around a karambit. I completely agree with you sir about building a fixed straight blade before a karambit.

Quote:
There's a lot swimming in my mind right now, but don't have the time. But my biggest thought is this, if this has a self defense type purpose, I would suggest a fixed blade even more, I know folding knives can be very sturdy, but with a well placed correctly made fixed blade IMO it is far superior in that aspect. A thin blade can be easily concealed (its no where near the size of my .45 pistol I conceal) and it is in every aspect stronger, more reliable, and you don't have to worry about fumbling around trying to open it in the time of need, which could mean the difference between life and death. Most cases (I would assume, due to CQC nature of a knife) that you need to use a knife in self defense, your going to want speed on your side. Just a thought, I know you want a folder but like Ray said they involve MUCH more time and accuracy from the maker. Trust me, I've made a couple and they are neat to make, but honestly I don't enjoy making them nearly as much a fixed blades, they just have so many aspects that can turn into a headache really quickly.
I agree about a knife vs sidearm concealed but the most common spot i can think about putting it concealed and not printing to much is small of the back, that's only because i havent seen any decent iwb knife sheaths yet. Fixed is the way im leaning unless i could convince someone to make me a replacement blade for my folder, I'm even thinking on just buying a fixed one for now until i actually take my time and learn to make a regular straight blade like Ray just suggested.

That blade style has worked as a utility knife for the people who It's native to for a long time. Still it wouldn't be my first choice. Apparently it's a fairly effective weapon when used in combination with normally unarmed techniques.

Quote:
I don't know if there's a worse style to pick for a first blade. Regrinding a tip is pretty easy. I've even done it on a bench grinder and had it turn out fine. Whether it looks right will depend on the blade shape and how much is missing, but as looking as you don't get it too hot it should be perfectly functional.
I was thinking about regrinding it but knowing me and how heavy handed i am i think i would mess it up.

Once again thank you gentlemen for your help.
Old 05-23-2013, 07:46 AM
Steel Addict

Well if your contemplating making a knife... gotta learn how to make sheaths for them as well, and you can make your own IWB which would be 100% customizable

Tags
art, bee, blade, blades, design, easy, fixed blade, folding, folding knife, grinding, help., how to, hunting knife, knife, knives, made, materials, pocket, pocket knife, products, sheaths, tools, tutorial, video