MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Folding Knife (& Switchblade) Forum

The Folding Knife (& Switchblade) Forum The materials, techniques and the designing of folding knives.

Old 12-27-2007, 01:53 PM
Skilled

Pictures from Santa's workshop

Well, after a long stretch of all talk and no knives I've finally got something to show for myself.

These were finished just in the St. Nic of time (Christmas gifts for my brother-in-law and cousin-in-law). I actually finished the second one Christmas morning!

Hope you like 'em. These are knives number 8 and 9 for me. Numbers 10-14 are on the bench stuck at about 2/3 completion.

I'm posting here instead of display case because this is where I hang out, and the folder forum needs a bump.

As always, many thanks to Don, Ray, and everyone else here who helps me along. Your mentorship and encouragement is something I appreciate very much. Merry Christmas everybody.

-Ben
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMGP3005 (Small).JPG (57.4 KB, 160 views)
File Type: jpg IMGP3053 (Small).JPG (38.6 KB, 94 views)
Old 12-27-2007, 05:26 PM
Hall of Famer

Very nice change of style, Ben. Thanks for showing us.

How did you etch the one blade?
Old 12-27-2007, 06:05 PM
Skilled

Hi Don,
Thanks. The blade is O1 and I wanted to give it some protection that didn't look boring...

A few weeks ago someone here or on one of the other forums posted a link to pictures of knives done by Kiku Matsuda. You can see them here. I don't know how he does his, but they were my inspiration.

I gave the blade a very mild etch in 50/50 ferric chloride. Then I washed the blade and splattered it with fingernail polish by flicking and slinging the stuff around. After making a mess I let it dry and then gave the blade a deeper etch. After washing off the nail polish with acetone I gave it a little rub with 1500 grit to brighten up the high spots. I'm glad I got brave and experimented a bit. It was fun.

-Ben
Old 12-29-2007, 01:32 PM
Master

Very nice finish makes it look like meteorite.

Old 01-02-2008, 04:13 PM
Skilled

Thanks for the comments. Newyear's Eve I got a report back from the owner of the first one. He said he was showing it off (at church!?) and got a big laugh when one of the people looking at it said "Yeah, that's really nice, but it's not really a true custom because as you can see, he took the blade off of a Messinger." Owner said it was very funny listening to him try to backpedal out of that comment when told in front of the group that I AM MESSINGER. Hearing about that made my day.
-Ben
Old 01-02-2008, 08:38 PM
Master

I sure do like the styling in the first one , Ben, and the second looks just as well done !!! Frank

Old 01-03-2008, 08:56 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Messinger
Thanks for the comments. Newyear's Eve I got a report back from the owner of the first one. He said he was showing it off (at church!?) and got a big laugh when one of the people looking at it said "Yeah, that's really nice, but it's not really a true custom because as you can see, he took the blade off of a Messinger." Owner said it was very funny listening to him try to backpedal out of that comment when told in front of the group that I AM MESSINGER. Hearing about that made my day.
-Ben
Reminds me of the time I took one of my new folders to a church party. I showed it to a friend and told him I found it beside the road. He looked it over and said, "And you put your name on it?" He passed it around the room and everybody oohed and aahed and had all kinds of comments, "It sure is in good condition! You found this beside the road??

I had the greatest time with that. I finally told them the truth.
Old 01-03-2008, 11:49 AM
Skilled

Thanks for the kind comments guys. With the completion of these two folders I broke through a barrier of sorts and am enjoying the process more. I got my tools and benches laid out in a more organized configuration and that has made a huge difference. Also the steps are becoming more familiar. The result is fewer mistakes and less frustration. I'm relaxing a bit and enjoying the work much more. It has even let some artistic expression creep in. Grinding away on blades and profiles and deciding mid-way to 'try something a little different' is a big step for me. I have to credit Ray with getting me over that hurdle because he's always saying to be expressive and not to always color inside the lines. I finally tried a bit of it and am very glad I did (Thanks, Ray!).

-Ben
Old 01-03-2008, 06:42 PM
Hall of Famer

Ben, I've recently colored outside the lines too and gone back to making slipjoints again. Lots of fun once you get the hang of it.

Tags
blade, knife, knives