MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Outpost

The Outpost This forum is dedicated to all who share a love for, and a desire to make good knives, and have fun doing it. We represent a diverse group of smiths and knifemakers who bring numerous methods to their craft.

Old 08-28-2005, 05:25 PM
Steel Addict

Bowie's Hammer'in?

I haven't heard anything about a hammer'in at Bowie's place this year. Does anybody have any information?

Thanks-
Jason
Old 08-28-2005, 07:56 PM
Steel Addict

I can't remeber if Ron said he was looking at the second or third weekend in Oct. I am pretty sure nothing has been set in stone yet. Bill
Old 08-28-2005, 09:35 PM
Skilled

Send a message via AIM to Ron Claiborne Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Claiborne
Jason we are having the hammer -in the third week end in oct. 14 15 16 all are invited . should have some thing for every body
cutting contest should be fun ,a lot have already ask .
the rules are the same as abs rules as to size of knife .
As for demonstrations looks like we will have some good ones .
I well in a few weeks have it all worked out and ill let you all know who will be here and what to expect
make plans if you can to attend, looking forward seeing you all
Bowie

Old 08-28-2005, 10:37 PM
Steel Addict

GREAT! I look forward to being there! Thanks for the reply, Ron. And I am hoping for the same camping spot I had last year. Right next to the coffee pot!
Old 08-29-2005, 07:44 AM
Steel Addict

Thumbs up Git er done!!!!

Looking forward to seeing everyone this year!! I have a new competition knife almost fine tuned and ready. I think I'll make something special for the iron in the hat..... I think I'll keep it under my hat till show time... :evil ...Remember.. hit it while it's HOT!!!
Old 08-29-2005, 08:33 AM
Steel Addict

Bummer

I just realized that the hammer'in falls on the day my wife will be running in her first marathon. I don't think I should miss that.

Sorry I will not be able to attent. I hope you all will have a great time!

-Jason
Old 08-29-2005, 10:23 PM
Skilled

Send a message via AIM to Ron Claiborne Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Claiborne
cricket you better not jive me the option this year you know what ill do
bowie on the road . making a trip across the country keep it hot and hit it hard
see you guys in a few weeks

Old 08-30-2005, 07:24 AM
Steel Addict

Talking Hard-headed

Hi Bowie, I usually learn pretty quick, but you know how hard-headed I can be!!.... Give your lovely wife a hug for me, hope to hear from you soon!!....Remember: Hit it while it's HOT!!! P.S. When you see it, I bet your going to want it!!!
Old 09-03-2005, 08:53 PM
Steel Addict

Talking I'll be there Ron!

I'm there Bud! Gotta get "The Real" Larry Kemp comitted, as I am sure he is! I have some really nice pieces of Tulip Wood, Walnut and Curly Maple for the Iron in the Hat.... I'll bring an interesting tool or two as well and perhaps a piece off my scrimshaw (if I feel it has merit)...

I'll "camp" as well and definitely won't miss the first day like last year, I am definitely clearing my schedule for the weekend! Can't wait to see everyone!

All the best!

Mike Roesch
Old 09-04-2005, 09:18 PM
Skilled

This Hammer in sounds great... How do I get there..?? I live 65 miles due south of Nashville Tennessee.....Lloyd

Old 09-05-2005, 07:16 AM
Guru

Lloyd,
I wrote down the directions and the name of a close hotel from last year, and will get them posted by Tuesday or Wednesday. I come up 75 from Chattanooga area then change to 40, but you will probably want 40 right into Knoxville. Sorry for the delay, I'm not where the directions are, but will be on Tuesday. We have a great time, and I for one would be thrilled to meet you!

KempKnives.com
Old 09-07-2005, 08:24 AM
Guru

OK, here's the directions as I know them. From I- 40 east, take exit#393.
That will put you on I-640 North (by-pass).
Take the first exit off I-640 (not even a mile) which will be Millertown Pike.
Take a right on Millertown Pike, and follow for aprox. 7-9 miles.
When you come to a 4-corner with stop sign, take a left onto Ellistown Rd.
Rons place is on the right about 500 feet at 2918 Ellistown Rd.

I usually stay at the Days Inn on the right of exit #394 at I-40. It is only a mile further down the road, and I can make it to Rons in about 15 minutes.

This hammer-in is the very first one I ever attended, and I was very nervous about it. I called Ron to see if he would welcome a beginner, and he was so nice on the phone that I decided I had to go. I walked up and introduced myself to a couple of guys standing there, and one of them turned out to be Ron Claiborne. He pumped my hand like I was a long lost cousin, and thanked me for coming. The whole weekend went like that. I had a ball. The people I met that first year have all turned into friends, and if you know me, you know it wasn't easy for them!

Anyway, I don't know anyone who has come that didn't have a great time. So if you're on the fence, please come. If you need better directions, or need more info, You can e-mail me larry@kempknives.com, or Ron - Bowie2002@comcast.net

KempKnives.com
Old 09-08-2005, 04:55 PM
Skilled

:(

bowie
i,m gonna really hate not being there this yr!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
rich is comeing down!!
he will bring me back a report
hope u all have a good time
harley

Old 09-09-2005, 07:40 PM
Steel Addict

Thumbs up

Ron,

Can't wait! (actually as soon as last year's was over I was counting the days to this year's), talked to "The Real" Larry Kemp today, got caught up on happenings at his place. Even with my "bum hand" I'm itching to get with him for more knifemaking tips and lessons! I got my grinder going and am working on a two speed buffer.... Picked up a busted anvil (Peter Wright 116lb) and am repairing it with the help/advice of some of the LAMA guys that have done it before.

Those of you that are "on the fence" about attending, GET THERE! Ron made me welcome last year (along with everyone else that attended) and I came home with tons of stuff from the "Iron-in-the-hat" (beginner's luck). It was a blast just sitting around the fire and "passing the jug" telling tall tales (I come from Texas, we tell some really TALL ones!). Everything was just plain fun! Anvils flying through the air and all!

I'm bringing some of my awesome tulip wood to donate to the "cause", also some walnut, curly maple and cherry. Ask Larry about the wood I gave him! The tulip wood is really striking (blonde with almost purple stripes). I also have some tongs I am going to donate as well...

I'm hoping to have some $$ to spend with all the tailgater's, even may get a KMG if Rob Fink attends! (You listening Rob? If I get the $$ I hope to have I'm going to get all the accessories too!)

I remember one tip that I got from Ron and Larry prior to attending last year "bring a pad and pencil, cause you will be taking lots of notes!" That was the best tip I got prior to attending!

Let me put it this way, after Ron's Hammer-in, I joined the ABS, attended BLADE and bought forging stuff! Definitely got the "fever" Nuff said!

So if you are "on the fence" just go! Don't miss a day!
Old 09-25-2005, 09:17 PM
Skilled

Guys and Gals we will be looking forward seeing you all .
Lloyd .I would be gratfull if you could attend would be great to meet you
Bowie

Tags
blade, forging, knife, knife making