MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 06-12-2013, 10:50 AM
Steel Addict

Globe valve?

I found a 1/4"globe valve. I was wondering if I can use this as my fuel adjustment for my burner? It looks like it works like a needle valve but I'm not sure. Anybody have a clue if this is ok to use? It's rated at 4000psi.
Old 06-12-2013, 11:03 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

Fuel regulation is the job of the propane regulator - you need to have an 'official' propane regulator in your burner assembly, a globe valve is not an acceptable substitute. We usually add a ball valve to the fuel line so that the propane can be cut off instantly in case of an emergency, a globe valve is too slow to perform this function. The overall air flow in a forced air burner is usually controlled by a gate valve. A globe valve could probably be used for this function but yours is too small.

In short, it might be useful somewhere in the burner assembly for some type of burner but no particular use for it jumps out at me ...

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 06-12-2013, 02:02 PM
Hall of Famer

You can also put a needle valve on the gas line to regulate the burner. Both of my blown burners have a gauge on the regulator, which is right at the tank, so that I can adjust it there but I rarely readjust it. Then on the other I have the ball valve and the needle valve right where the gas line enters the burner. As Ray said, the ball valve is for quick shut off and to assist in lighting the forge. The needle valve is where I do most of the fuel adjustment.
IMG_0056.JPG

The brass knob below the gas line is to the gate valve where the blower is attached to the air line and is used to regulate air flow.

Doug

Old 06-12-2013, 02:36 PM

OK, then I stand (somewhat) corrected. If you have a variable pressure regulator like I do then you don't need anything else to adjust fuel flow. But, if you don't have that type of regulator then you can do as Doug has done and use a needle valve on top of your regulator. And, a globe valve is similar enough to a needle valve that it would probably work in that application ...

Old 06-12-2013, 02:47 PM
Hall of Famer

I find the regulator with a pressure gauge at the tank to be handy in combination with the needle valve at the burner. That way I can set a maximum gas flow from the tank and, combined with the pressure gauge I can tell if the valve on the tank is open and pressure in the line. If I ran the regulator wide open, even with the needle valve, I can drain the tank in no time, so it's usually cut back to about 5 lb. You could regulate with a ball valve but I find the needle valve easier. Then, as said, the ball valve behind or ahead of the needle valve allows the gas flow to be cut off immediately. Also, the setup that I have puts all the controls right in front of me. No running over to the tank to adjust things.

Doug

Old 06-12-2013, 03:15 PM

I get about the same effect by arranging for my regulator to be positioned with the ball valve (for safety) and the gate valve in one easy to reach place thus:

Old 06-12-2013, 03:40 PM
Steel Addict

I have a goss regulator with the pressure gauge. I was going for the set up like Doug has. So I can set my regulator at 5 or 10psi and adjust it with the globe valve I found. Im also going to add the ball valve for a quick shut off if needed. I got a 2" gate valve for my blower. I just wasn't sure if the globe valve was the same as or should I say close enough to a needle valve to be used in this situation.
Old 06-12-2013, 05:09 PM

Having never seen a 1/4" globe valve I can't be certain either but they are designed for flow control although usually in much larger scale applications. I believe it will work but as with anything new and untried where propane is concerned just proceed with caution ...

Old 06-12-2013, 08:02 PM
Steel Addict

Thanks guys. I'm almost done with the welding on this new vertical forge. I just poured the floor this evening. I gotta tape and tighten all my fittings then just wait for the refractory to dry. I'll get a pic up after its all together.
Old 06-13-2013, 06:11 AM

My forges are set up much like Doug only I don't use forced air, only venturi burners. I run my "shop" forges off 100# tanks and my reg & gauge are at the tank disconnect. I have needle valves on each burner to regulate feed at each which allows me to "tune" the heat in the forge front to back and cut it way down for finish work. Makes the forge much more versatile. I have never used the regulator for adjusting the feed rate to the torches, only to regulate the line pressure from the tank.

The globe valve, by design will give you very rough regulatory control of feed rate. If it's like most globe valves, it is best used for quick cut-off as Doug mentioned. The needle valve will give you the best point of control fuel feed regulation. That's what it is designed for. As Ray stated make sure all components are Lp rated, even your hoses.

Registered Master Artist - GA Council for the Arts
C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H

Tags
back, blower, brass, design, easy, forge, heat, welding