MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Community Discussion Boards > Knife Network Community > This Old Knife

This Old Knife Here is a little forum dedicated to talking about, but not limited to, vintage and antique knives. Pics and stories of special knives or your favorite patterns are encouraged. No experts here. Just guys chattin about old knives and the legends we hav

Old 07-19-2005, 08:54 PM
Hall of Famer

Send a message via Yahoo to hammerdownnow
I asked BL about it, he said it was REAL, but my assuming it was a combat model was false. Another wrong move by me. wish I would have bought it now, oh well. here is the listing.
ebayRichtig(clickhere)

Old 07-19-2005, 10:52 PM
Hall of Famer

On that Rictig story, it doesn't say one way or the other, BUT, what if the object he was cutting, was at a very high heat? A RR spike at an almost white heat should slice fairly easily. Just a though.

Hensarling Custom Knives

Old 07-19-2005, 11:03 PM
Skilled

A good book on WWII theater knives is "Theater Made Knives of World War II" by Bill and Debbie Wright..
Very GOOD book.

Some great examples of Richtig knives.

Although I don't own any "name" makers of WWII knives I do collect theater and hand made fighting knives of that era. I find it quite an interesting area of collecting. I tend to think a lot of them are makers "first" knives, but some are works of veterans.

I have a copy of Blade mag. W/ Rob Simonich pounding his knife thru a bar of steel...not sure if it would cut paper afterwords. I'll have to read it again, and get back to you guys.

I really think you would have to have some good JuJu in your balde to do that., And if someone CAN I would sure like to know his heat treat method.
Mace

www.laurelrockforge.com

"Ain't nothing more useless than a dull knife or a short piece of rope"
Old 07-20-2005, 01:23 AM
Hall of Famer

Send a message via Yahoo to DiamondG Knives
I have cut spike nails with one of my blades. NOT RR spike mind you but large spike nails.
Cut them with no problem. The edge was not damadged. It would not shave paper when done, but was still feelably (is this a word?) sharp. Blade was 5160 triple edge quenched and triple tempered at 380 deg.

On thing I think is very intresting. I was honored to meet Kishohera Miromatsu, one of the few (3 I belive, but not certin) #######d sword smiths in Okinawa. We discussed several of the atributes of the Japanese sword. He only smiled when I asked of the amazing feats that I had heard that they could perform. He smiled a wizened smile, and in his quiet voice said, "I am only a man, I do not know if I could do these things, but A part of me wants to think that I could". Then followed the statement with "Why would anyone who owned a fine sword, do somthing so terrible to it?" He spoke of several "known named swords" from history that were reported to do great things, which he says he feels that did in fact happen to a degree, but to what degree he wouldnt speculate. He did point out several tang inscriptions that named the cuts they performed, he had several paper rubbings from them. And some of these he explaned to me. One that stands out in my mind was cutting 3 grown men standing face to back, face to back, face to back clean thru at the waist with one swing. Apparently smiths that worked for a powerful enough Lord, could use convicted prisoners to test special blades. And cuts on a man from collar to hip were said to be common place. Cutting a machine gun barrel????? I tend to belive this as a battle field myth, but who kows???

Sorry to rable, just wanted to share this.

God Bless
Mike

Old 07-20-2005, 07:07 AM
Hall of Famer

Ramble on!
It seems like you are writing a book when you are typing in that small window, then when you post it is just a few lines. I seems very long to me cuz I type so slow. Good story Mike thanks for sharing that.

Great quote!
"I am only a man, I do not know if I could do these things, but A part of me wants to think that I could".

Robert. Pick it up if you can get it for a few bucks. We will research it and find out what we can about it. If it is too much, get the name and numbers off it and a pic if you can.

Old 07-20-2005, 07:45 AM
Hall of Famer

Robert. Pick it up if you can get it for a few bucks. We will research it and find out what we can about it. If it is too much, get the name and numbers off it and a pic if you can.[/QUOTE]

Next time I head to the coast to catch a big Red, I'll sure stop by the little antique store and see if it's still there. I don't even know the name of the place. I recall the price being $35.00 though. In looking at the picture of the sheath you posted, I'm almost (almost) positive that even the rivit spacing is the same.

Hensarling Custom Knives

Old 08-04-2005, 03:45 PM

Looks like this old story may turn out to be true after all. This is an article by THE Man hisself, Norm Flayderman, that appears in the most recent newsletter of the American Bowie Knife Association. Very interesting, and as Southerner what can I say - it makes me proud! For anyone interested in this kind of thing, joining the ABKA is very worthwhile both for the terrific newsletters and the opportunity to see the best real antique Bowie knives in the world at their gatherings. Click these thumbnails to enlarge and be patient while the page loads in a separate window.

Avatar ~ custom crank case cover from 1969 Harley shovelhead chopper
Old 08-04-2005, 04:10 PM
Super Moderator

Great article!

Quote:
joining the ABKA is very worthwhile both for the terrific newsletters and the opportunity to see the best real antique Bowie knives in the world at their gatherings
Contact info? did a google but nada..........????

BTW - if you haven't read Mr. Flayderman's Bowie book (at $80.00 it is a "best buy"! ) - the chapter on James Black is to say the least verrrrrry interesting! - and the photos are WOW!!!!!!!!!!

Durango, CO
chuck@wrtcleather.com
www.wrtcleather.com

Wild Rose Trading Co - Handcrafted Knife Sheaths

The beautiful sheaths created for storing the knife elevate the knife one step higher. It celebrates the knife it houses.
Old 08-04-2005, 05:37 PM
Hall of Famer

Thanks for posting that Buddy. That pic of the soldier with the Bowie is incredable. What a knife. Those brass handles are beautiful. Those must be the forerunners to the Aluminum combats. I have a keen interest in Aluminum handled WWII knives and have been planning a thread on the Gerber, Murphy, Bartaux connection. With a little Richtig and Ruana thrown in.

Last edited by hammerdownnow; 09-01-2005 at 05:38 PM.
Old 08-05-2005, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Burrows
Contact info? did a google but nada..........????
http://www.antiquebowieknife.com/

Last edited by Buddy Thomason; 08-05-2005 at 01:08 AM.
Old 08-06-2005, 04:49 PM
Skilled

Here's a couple of stories I have some serious doubts about.

I heard of a guy that was comissioned as a swordmaker for the British royal family. After finishing a sword blade he would put it on a hill that was in full view from his kitchen window and then watch it during thunderstorms untill he was certain that it was hit by a thunderbolt. Only then he would finish the sword. According to the story this would ensure an allmost indestructable blade.
Any ideas on this from a metallurgical point of view ??

Another story has it that ancient japanese blades was quenched by shoving it down the spine of a freshly beheaded (decapitated) slave or criminal. I personally think the inside cavity of the human spinal column is much to small for this purpose.

Another story regarding ancient Jap blades is that it was sort of edge-packed wrapped in the skin of a freshly slaughtered piglet. This would apparently force oxygen into the blade surface. ???????? Makes no sense to me.

Lastly. Myth has it that if you are given a knife as a gift, you should give something in return to avoid something bad from happening to you. Even if it's only one cent. I think this originated from the Vikings. Any ideas or info on this ?
Old 08-06-2005, 07:27 PM
Master

Quote:
Another story regarding ancient Jap blades is that it was sort of edge-packed wrapped in the skin of a freshly slaughtered piglet. This would apparently force oxygen into the blade surface. ???????? Makes no sense to me.
Sounds like in theory it could work like case hardening to add a little carbon to the surface of the steel and to keep oxygen away from the blade. I know leather was often used in case hardening and what's pig skin except untanned leather? It'd give an extra hard skin to the blade, though honestly with their polishing style I'd think it'd be ground off deeper then the extra carbon would sink in.

Old 08-19-2005, 10:54 PM
Hall of Famer

Here is a cool video on the possibilities of the high degree of perfomance one can achieve in heat treating blades. To do it with pattern weld and with such a cool chainlink pattern is just iceing on the cake. If anyone is still following this thread this video is a treat!!!!

Andrew Jordan Video (clickhere)

Click on werken an werk:messen (Breedband). Right below the Jordan knives link

Old 08-20-2005, 05:27 PM
Steel Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to nozh_scrap
thank you so much for that video....that was one of the coolest things I've ever seen. The finished knife was beautiful. I loved how the pattern just popped out when he put the blade in that solution.

Being an unexperienced Newbie, I now know kind of what to expect. Thanks alot man!

Old 08-22-2005, 04:39 PM
Hall of Famer

That is a goodie, glad you enjoyed it. I found it thu posting about the Jordan knife in the thread below. Be sure to click on the link in the first post.
Shark Tooth Seax

Tags
blade, bowie, ca, cutting, folding knife, forge, forging, heat, knife, knives, white