MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Randall Knives Forum

Randall Knives Forum Discuss Randall Knives

Old 05-05-2005, 04:29 AM

Denmark special,ss,brass hilt, green micarta teardrop, all black fibers, wt.
Old 05-05-2005, 08:55 AM
Skilled

Grindo,
Good to see ya' posting. We are only supposed to be choosing the "blade" in stage #1, but I like a Denmark Special as well. I have noticed you "surfing" in here, but it is nice to see you take an active role once again. My most-used, most carried, and most practical "all-around" Randall is my Model #7-5", with a #6 grind. It is very close, as you know, to the "Denmark" in design. I have used it so much and carried it for so long in the field that it is on it's 3rd sheath!!
Wap: Cool idea about a full tang Randall, but seeing as the shop doesn't make the "Griffin drop point hunter" anymore it is out of the running, because this hunter has to be made from "available stock". Great options ideas on both of these posts guys. Keep up the good work!
Maybe down the road I can explain both of the above-mentioned models: how they came to be, etc. Or.......That could be a good job for "Grindo"!! So much material, regarding this Randall sickness.....so little ambition! Best, Captain Chris Stanaback

Old 05-05-2005, 09:15 AM

Hi Cap, I'm sure the other moderators and I will come out with a fair way to offer this Knife Network "built" Randall to one of the participants. We'll announce this in the near future. Thanks again for the idea and your time!

With regard to the absence of the fairer sex as yet, I can only presume that they're waiting for more handsome dudes than us to appear first.
(Yeah, I know this is a sexist remark and I hope it won't be held against me.)

You're right about the "Trailblazer" allowing for fewer options, so I will withdraw this pick and change my preference to a 5 inch stainless blade Model #19, "Bushmaster". with the top cutting edge sharpened.

David

Last edited by Moosehead; 05-05-2005 at 09:17 AM.
Old 05-05-2005, 09:41 AM

Great idea Cap!

My vote is for a 7-5 standard grind in stainless.

Best,

Ron
Old 05-05-2005, 10:30 AM
Steel Addict

Thanks for the feedback Cap. Since I struck out on the blade/tang idea, my new option would be a 4" model 3 blade, 01.

Old 05-05-2005, 07:25 PM
Steel Addict

for me I would like a model 4-6 in o-1

but hey thats me :cool:
Old 05-05-2005, 11:09 PM
Steel Addict

I like the Model 26 with stainless. I like to use a smaller knife and the 4 in. drop point works well for me.

Wayne

Old 05-05-2005, 11:27 PM
Skilled

I like the Model 7 in 4.5 or 5 inch length as a user. It has been a long time since I skinned a deer but based upon what several people have said I think the 26 is probably the better blade shape for the job but I just like the Model 7 and Model 3 and Model 27 blade shape a whole lot more. Some of the deer I see here in this area are right along and sometimes even out on the salt marshes so I will vote for stainless steel. This thread is so good that I will order a Randall just like what we come up with here.
Jeff
Old 05-06-2005, 08:19 PM
Skilled

...I have been thinking about Grindo's recommendation of the Denmark Special. For those of us who grew up during the 60s in central Florida the connection between Denmark's Sporting goods and hunting is just a given. The hunting and fishing show they had on television every wednesday night back then was great. If old Tom and Cuz picked the Denmark Special in conjunction with Mr Randall as a design for a hunting knife then I will go with that as my first choice is this process.
Jeff
Old 05-06-2005, 09:31 PM
Skilled

Jeff,
Yeah...The "Denmark", or a model #7, with a #6 grind are excellent choices. Very, very similar in design, the only real "differance" is a slightly narrower design, from top to bottom, on the model #7. Also: The "Denmark" is only available in a 4 1/2" blade, whereas the model #7 comes in 4 1/2" or 5".
I know that you probably already know all of this, but somebody probably doesn't that will read all of this stuff! Good selection...Best, Captain Chris Stanaback

Old 05-06-2005, 10:03 PM
Skilled

Marc (the "wap"),
For your information, as well as the other folks, the Model #3 is no longer available with a flat grind. It is also only available in 5", 6", or 7" blade lengths. Sorry......
Good trivia question for you guys, though, stemming from this. First: a fact: There are only 2 model Randall knives available in 1/4" stock "AND" a 4" blade that are currently being forged. Can you name them??? Best, Captain Chris Stanaback

Old 05-06-2005, 10:29 PM
Skilled

How 'bout the Fireman and Stanaback specials?

Seussbrother
Old 05-07-2005, 02:41 PM
Steel Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to RedElk
That's quite an offer Capt.!
And quite a test for the knife. I mean, a Randall assembled by a committee? Oh well, if any knife can take on the challenge in style, this is the one.

As for my choices on the knife, I'm not as familiar with hunting as others here, so I'll let those who know what they're talking about design the blade.
Old 05-09-2005, 04:30 PM
Skilled

RedElk,
I can tell ya' a couple of thing to "look" for in a hunting knife and how to "tailor" one to your needs. Many of the Randall models will work extremely well for hunting knives, including "fighting" models. A perfect example of this is a "Combat Companion". Take a look at it in the "non-catalog" flier, or online at Randalls web site. A classic fighter, in many respects. Long "false edge sharpened: Double hilt: "Commando-shaped" handle.
Now, take the same model: Put a "single hilt" on it, either standard or "squared top": Order it with thumb notches on the blade: Put a stag handle or green canvas micarta handle on it: Install finger gripe in the handle and """"TA DAH!!""" You have an excellent all-roud hunting knife!
Pick a model such as the Model #4, Model #20, Model #21, Model #22, etc. and you have an excellent "skinner", as the upswept blade lends itself to removing a lot of hide with each pass. Choose a Model #11, Model #25. or Model #26 and you have a great "drop point" designed hunting knife which makes the "gutting" process easier, as it doesn't allow as much blade to get up into the internal organs as the previuosly-mentioned models. Decide on a Model #3, Model #5, Model #6. Model #7, Model #8, Model #10, Model #12 (short ones), Model #19, Model #23 and you have a compromise, or combination of all of the above.
It can get confusing, but, even if you don't hunt or haven't hunted "yet", you can still get a good idea of what would work best for your type of job. 3/16" stock knives, are generally shorter and lighter and used for "easier" work. Now before folks come barging on in here and telling about using a Model #8-4" on elk, please note I said "generally" used for, not "cannot do heavier jobs". 1/4" stock knives are going to start in lengths a bit longer and be a bit heavier, in general. Can a 1/4" stock knife do light work when the task demands it? Absolutely!!
All of this is just to give you a rough idea and basic design of some of the Randall blades. Hope I didn't confuse anyone. Best, Captain Chris Stanaback

Old 05-09-2005, 07:19 PM
Enthusiast

Blade profile: something between an #11 and #19...

My input is for something along the lines of a cross between the Model 11 and Model 19, with a 4 ? blade using 3/16 in. stock (like Randall does on the 4 in. #11?I like the bit of extra length. I really like the big notch for your thumb on the #11 and would like to keep that bit as well, but it might be nice if we could have just a little bit of top edge sharpened (like the #19) while keeping as much of a ?flat? grind (like the standard #11) as we can. Something like a #11 shape but wider, fatter, like the #19. I like stainless too for the same reasons most have posted but could go either way.
Gary

Tags
blade, hunting knife, knife, knives