MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Outpost

The Outpost This forum is dedicated to all who share a love for, and a desire to make good knives, and have fun doing it. We represent a diverse group of smiths and knifemakers who bring numerous methods to their craft.

Old 03-25-2009, 12:24 PM
Steel Addict

What are YOU working on.

Hey Everyone,

I'm starting this thread to ask everyone out here to make a post on what they are working on or planning for this year without having to start their own thread. This place has been too quiet lately and we need to get everyone's juices flowing. On with the pounding!

I''ll start.

Today I picked up an 8 foot 6"x6" post to use to mount my RR anvil. ...no, it's not eight feet tall! I plan to cut it in thirds and sink it about 8'' in the ground. This will be installed in my first COVERED forge so I can go "Bangin' in the Rain". I'm calling it my 2009 Forge Stimulus Package.

See how simple this is?

Now it's your turn.

Trace
Old 03-25-2009, 01:55 PM
Skilled

Ok, good thread,
This knife is the one im working on at the moment. Its my first attempt at the knapped look. Its forged out of 1060 and has a white tail antler handle. Its blued to give it more of that obsidian look. All i have left is sharpening and the sheath. [IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

Other than that im putting together my new bandsaw and fixing my roof over my forge

Old 03-25-2009, 06:16 PM
Enthusiast

Ive 20 Nicholson files that ive been working with.There all profiled, each one different and most have bevels tho some are partials, and i need to go back and raise the grind line higher.

Doing this has been GREAT for my grinding skills !!
I havent gotten into forging yet but will at some point( when i get the cash).I have a leaf spring set from a chevy truck for when that happens.

I also have 6 cpm154 blades that i need to send for heat treating so i can finish them.

BOO, I love the knapping look !!!!

TRACY i see you,re in Palm bay Fl ? I live in Melbourne. We should hook up.

Last edited by FOG2; 03-25-2009 at 08:53 PM.
Old 03-25-2009, 06:51 PM
Skilled

Apart from my KITH, I've recently moved the shop from the basement to the garage, built an anvil stand and have acquired parts for a forge. I forgot how big a pain in the ass it is to organize a new shop.

Old 03-26-2009, 08:08 AM

Cool knife there Boo!

I just finished up a small intgeral. I have a big bowie I'm working on, sent it to Wild Rose for a sheath at the half done stage and will finish it up when I get it back.

On The Bench 2009:
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v4...0Bench%202009/

Old 03-26-2009, 10:19 AM
Steel Addict

Spent the last 2-3 weeks rough forging blades and making PW billets.Have prolly 25 blades ready for the grinder. Had a horrible head cold and didn't want to be in all that dust.
Haven't finished many but here's one and amotorcycle chain hawk near done.
Tai that intregal in NICE!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg camera 001.jpg (100.9 KB, 96 views)
File Type: jpg camera 059.jpg (81.8 KB, 107 views)

www.BirdogForge.com
Old 03-26-2009, 08:46 PM
Skilled

I have three more little hunting/utility knives mostly done for the boss. They're off getting sheaths made for them before I do the final shaping on the handles and sharpen them.

I am making a Goo-inspired integral octagonal bolster small utility for my friend to process chickens with once he has his coop set up in his back yard. I am also ready to start working on the eye of a little camp ax I forged out of car axle for him.

I've forged, ground, and heat treated three medium-sized forge finished work knives. They are all steel with rattle can spray-on bedliner on the handles, which I'm trying for the first time. If it works well, it will let me make working knives faster, with a bit of niftiness added. I just need to touch up the spray on one of the handles and sharpen them. Too wet today to do it; maybe it'll dry out by Saturday. I'll try my first Kydex sheaths on them.

Pictures of these all are forthcoming once they are finished.

A blog I share with a friend where we think out loud upon occasion: http://shareourcampfire.blogspot.com/

Proud to be a Neo-Tribal Metalsmith scavenging the wreckage of civilization.

My new blog dedicated to the metalwork I make and sell: http://helmforge.blogspot.com/
Old 03-26-2009, 08:55 PM

Working on a big bowie right now.

Old 03-27-2009, 05:22 AM
Skilled

I have several Bird and Trout knives that I am working on and trying to finish up.
Old 03-27-2009, 10:17 AM
Steel Addict

Great to hear from you all! Keep up the good work.

Boo, killer look. That never occurred to me.

FOG2, Holy S*** !, We're neighbors ! Message coming.

Mark, I'm in the same boat ..... no shop.

Bruce, I like that hawk. I've got some Elm branches for handles.

Tai, I'm guessing that's the same one you posted a pic of recently when it was just roughed out. It's cool to see the transition.

StormCrow, neat idea about the bedliner. ...gonna' try it on my re-bars.

Rusty, A nice big one. Cool garage.

and Wade, post some pics.

Thanks.

!!!!! OK FOLKS, weekend coming up so you have no excuses not to brag. !!!!

I'm putting my brick forge together today. Pics coming.
Old 03-27-2009, 11:34 AM
Skilled

Tai ,as always, absolute perfection. Are those scales flat? Id like to see a view from the top or bottom . thanks boo

Old 03-27-2009, 02:48 PM
Enthusiast

Tracy, What a coincidence eh .And your building a BRICK forge ! I would be interested in seeing it an getting 1st hand tips on tips on making one.

Bryce
Old 03-27-2009, 03:02 PM

Boo, I already sent the knife to it's new owner,... don't have a pic of the top or bottom. On the inside they follow the flow of the tang and the outside cross sections are oval. The transition areas are radii. It's forged oval at the bolster area.

The blade is full convex right down to the leading edge, with no secondary bevel.

It's W2.

Last edited by Tai Google; 03-27-2009 at 03:05 PM.
Old 03-31-2009, 06:04 PM
Skilled

oh geez where to start
lesse
JUST finished a sign hanger for a gallery in new paltz
working on the following;

a leaf springs to knives WIP project that Im photographing as I go, two awaiting finish work and sheaths, 6-8 or so in the awaiting handles stage, about 7 of them just tangs drawn out, and 4 peices of cut and split leaf awaiting full tang forging. when their all done Ill post a WIP project thread, likely be mid-summer or so.

a custom ordered bowie with wrought fittings rosewood and maple handle, file worked and with a mammoth ivory inlay. that ones at the sanding the handle stage, its a full tang peened on the pommel construction.

a fighter with a built up handle. ie steel center wrapping around the 2/3 tang with slabs, haven't decided on slab material yet but leaning towards something with brass liners to offset the wrap around file work.

a Norwegian seax made with copper, purpleheart, and deer. that one still needs some pommel carving, handle carving, and sheath.

sundry EDC full tang stock, 4 of my basic camp knife styles.

generic blacksmith household accessories stock for a wholesale show thats coming up.

brought home a 1inch thick 12 inch sq slab of steel, going to make a drip cup and spoon swage from it this week.

some strap hinges. that ones tonight's project.

a green handled camp knife. that ones handle is drying as I type. ill likely have that one rough sanded and ready for preliminary sheath fitting tonight.

a small skinner, needs final sanding ( again... doing tonight)

Im pretty sure that's about it. ( god i hope so lol) until the new 115v lil stick welder arrives that I just picked up then Im going to be trying my hand at making some billets

also setting up the classes for a SCA event and getting ready to announce the hammer-in im organizing

gosh looking at that list it just occurred to me. I gotta get off this comp! ttyl all!
heres some pics of the gallery hanger

Last edited by metalbender; 03-31-2009 at 06:08 PM.
Old 03-31-2009, 06:11 PM
Hall of Famer

What am I doing? Trying to get caught up!

I fired up my new stovepipe forge this afternoon. I don't have the blower fixed up yet so just ran it off the Bernzomatic, and it worked great!

I heat treated a Nessmuk and my KITH knife. Went to put everything away and realized I have 2 other blades sitting in the drawer waiting for handles. I have 3 knives waiting for sheaths, one with handle waiting on pins, and one with half the handle on waiting for me to drill the pin holes on the other side. My problem is that I keep starting new knives before I finish the others!

Tags
blade, forge, forging, knife, knives