MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 12-18-2005, 10:49 AM
Steel Addict

Cleaning Up Brusletto Blade

I promise this will be my last question on making this knife.

The Brusletto blade I have came with a "satin" finish with the Brusletto name seemingly etched on one side of the bladein black. Which is OK to me. The other side of the blade has some black patch of color on it and detracts from the look of the blade. I would otherwise have been happy with it.

If I clean the black off the blade it will be shinier that the side with Brusletto etched (?) on it. So I will have to clean up that side, too.

Will the black Brusletto name sand off and buff up easily or is it deep into the blade?

Guns, Big Knives, Outdoors www.ramanon.com
Old 12-18-2005, 11:41 PM
Living Legend

I don't know exactly what type of blade yours is, but many Scandinavian blades are forged and have the forge / hammer marks left behind, especially near the spine of the blade. I personally like this finish for its rustic look, but it needs to be even. I can understand if you don't like it.

Its hard to say how deep the logo is etched, but to remove all these marks you might have to re-grind the blade, or hand sand it all out. This can be a problem because many Scandinavian blades have a specific type of bevel that leads into the edge and it takes some experience to maintain that geometry when you re-grind or sand it out. Of course, it makes sense to do the same sort of finish on both sides of the blade.

I'm not clear on your level of experience with hand finishing or grinding, so its hard for me to give more specific information or advice. Jason.

(Matthew 10.16)
Old 12-19-2005, 09:07 PM
Steel Addict

Hi Jason:

My level of experience can cheerfully be summed up in one word. Beginner. I'm only on my 4th or 5th knife. I don't have a grinder for blade work. I am having a good time making kits and completing blades I buy.

I will take another look at that Brusletto blade. Your comment about the rustic look struck a chord with me. Maybe I'll just leave it as is. I'm having a hard enough time with the ebony (yeah that post was me, too).

Guns, Big Knives, Outdoors www.ramanon.com

Tags
blade, knife