MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 07-14-2014, 10:45 AM

Talking Step by Step on how to make my first knife?

Can anyone who is far more experienced than anyone I have access to talk to, help me out on this one? I'm new to this and I usually try to figure things out myself, but I guess a little help is needed sometimes! Thanks to all who can contribute!
Old 07-14-2014, 11:07 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

I'm working on a video for exactly that purpose but it won't be done soon enough to be of much use to you. The short answer is there are many, many ways to make that first knife and which one you choose depends on your background, your location, the kind of tools you have access to, etc. In other words, no one can simply throw out an answer to that question and expect the answer to be a perfect fit for you.

I suggest you start as I did 20 years ago. Gather all the information you can, what worked best for me was catalogs from the knife supply houses. Get a copy of Blade magazine or Knives Illustrated from your mall cutlery store or gun range or big mall book store. Use the ads in the magazines to find the knife supply houses and then get their catalogs. The catalogs have everything that knife makers use - materials, tools, supplies of all types, and its all laid out right there in front of you. Much easier to compare prices and see alternative ways of doing things by looking at the catalogs than trying to do the same thing with websites. Catalogs also have basic instructions on knife assembly.

Pretty much all knife supply places sell kit blades and each place has some that only they sell. Kit blades are finished knife blades that need only guards (if the style requires one) and handles. Assembling a few of these will tell you more about what tools you will need than any amount of questions you can ask. And, when you're done, you have a nice knife.

All the tools you use on a kit blade will be useful for the rest of your knife making career, everything you learn is something you will need when you start making your own blades. 99% of all the questions a beginner has can be answered by those catalogs and, to a lesser extent, by some of the better knife supply websites. That's where you start. Later, when you have specific questions you'll find all the advice you need right here from people who have already been down whichever path you choose to follow ...

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 07-14-2014, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Rogers View Post
I'm working on a video for exactly that purpose but it won't be done soon enough to be of much use to you. The short answer is there are many, many ways to make that first knife and which one you choose depends on your background, your location, the kind of tools you have access to, etc. In other words, no one can simply throw out an answer to that question and expect the answer to be a perfect fit for you.

I suggest you start as I did 20 years ago. Gather all the information you can, what worked best for me was catalogs from the knife supply houses. Get a copy of Blade magazine or Knives Illustrated from your mall cutlery store or gun range or big mall book store. Use the ads in the magazines to find the knife supply houses and then get their catalogs. The catalogs have everything that knife makers use - materials, tools, supplies of all types, and its all laid out right there in front of you. Much easier to compare prices and see alternative ways of doing things by looking at the catalogs than trying to do the same thing with websites. Catalogs also have basic instructions on knife assembly.

Pretty much all knife supply places sell kit blades and each place has some that only they sell. Kit blades are finished knife blades that need only guards (if the style requires one) and handles. Assembling a few of these will tell you more about what tools you will need than any amount of questions you can ask. And, when you're done, you have a nice knife.

All the tools you use on a kit blade will be useful for the rest of your knife making career, everything you learn is something you will need when you start making your own blades. 99% of all the questions a beginner has can be answered by those catalogs and, to a lesser extent, by some of the better knife supply websites. That's where you start. Later, when you have specific questions you'll find all the advice you need right here from people who have already been down whichever path you choose to follow ...
Thank you very much Ray! I will take what you said and put that to use! As I am still young, I am sure that my interest in this art will only grow, so truly your advice was the best you could have given, so again, thank you for taking the time to reply! God Bless!

Last edited by 12GLW; 07-14-2014 at 11:18 AM.
Old 07-14-2014, 01:44 PM
Skilled

YouTube has a pile of great How To videos and it's hard to single one out.

The one I can blame for getting me hooked was this guy making a basic stock removal knife, heat treating and attaching scales all with very common tools and a two brick forge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5LXpgSzKyQ

Regards,

Dan
Old 07-14-2014, 02:08 PM

Thanks Dan!
That is a good one! I have actually started my first knife just a couple hours ago and I have a question to run by you. Would bullet casings make good rivets in the handles?
Thanks!
Nick
Old 07-14-2014, 02:36 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

Rivets have two pieces that press together trapping the handle between then. A bullet casing wouldn't seem to lend itself to easily to that. That doesn't mean that there is no circumstance under which they could be used, there's always a way. But, I'd suggest that you learn to do build your knife using the conventional methods and materials until you understand why those materials and methods have become the traditional ways. Once you understand that, you'll be able to decide for yourself what will work or how to make it work or even why it isn't a good idea to try to make it work ...

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 07-14-2014, 02:39 PM
Skilled

I've seen them used once before. I cannot remember how they were mechanically fastened.

I think I'd opt for some brass or stainless rod that can be peened to give a strong mechanical hold.

Dan
Old 07-14-2014, 03:48 PM
Skilled

I'd use corby bolts or loveless bolts, depending on the size you will need the proper bit to drill your handle material.

Tags
advice, art, beginner, blade, brass, choose, cutlery, expertise, first time, forge, guards, how to, kit, knife, knife making, knife supply, knives, make, materials, newbie, step by step, supplies, supply, tutorial, video