MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 06-18-2015, 10:33 PM
Steel Addict

Dry Ice Cryo Treatment

I'm thinking about doing some 440c chef knives for Christmas this year and was wondering if using Dry Ice and Denatured Alcohol would work for the cryo treatment? I know it isn't as good as liquid nitrogen, but it is significantly cheaper for a non professional.

This is dependent upon my oven getting to 1900 degrees and holding steady. If not I'll send them out for professional HT.

Old 06-18-2015, 11:26 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

QUOTE: This is dependent upon my oven getting to 1900 degrees and holding steady.

That's very true so if you have an electric furnace you're good to go, otherwise send it out.

The dry ice cryo will help but use kerosene or diesel fuel instead of the alcohol. Put the blade in as soon as it has cooled to room temperature, leave it over night (which is longer than necessary but I find it convenient), and pull it out the next day. Let it warm to somewhere close to room temp and then start your tempering cycles.

Some guys like to temper once before cryo and that's OK but you must always do at least one tempering cycle after cryo so I find it more convenient to simply cryo first and then do all the tempering...

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 06-19-2015, 10:32 AM
Steel Addict

Ray, What are the advantages of using diesel or kerosene instead of alcohol?

Old 06-19-2015, 03:51 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

Honestly, I don't know. I use LN but whenever I have read anything about dry ice cryo they have always said kerosene or diesel. Maybe something to do with the density of the liquids, maybe they don't want to breathe the alcohol fumes. If you have it on good authority that alcohol will perform well then go for it. I'm not sure about alcohol but at least diesel is fairly affordable ...

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 06-19-2015, 11:05 PM
Hall of Famer

I think that the problem with alcohol, and we're probably talking rubbing or denatured alcohol, is that it contains so much water and will form a slush. Even absolute alcohol will rapidly go to 90% alcohol if left open because it will absorb water from the atmosphere. A problem in the cytology department when fixing tissues.

Doug

Tags
440c, art, blade, chris, christmas, cryo, degrees, heat treat, knife, knives, problem