View Single Post
Old 02-18-2022, 07:06 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Ed Caffrey Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Caffrey
Hi Chris!

When things went wrong, I didn't want to let that Marathon motor go.... so I toted it into our local electric motor shop/repair, and when I told the guy what had happened, he was familiar with the problem. He told me it was due to cheap, or contaminated wire used for the motor windings.

I don't claim to fully understand, but his explanation was that Marathon is a "bargain brand" motor, and as such, they tend to cut corners on components. He explained that the winding wire used is often unequal diameter/thickness over it's length, or of a very low grade copper with possible contaminates, either causing problems. He went on to tell me that if I stuck with Leeson or Baldor brand motors, he'd bet I'll never have another issue with VFDs..... and so far it's proven true. I don't know if that's the case with your motor, but it's kinda odd that we both have had VFD issue with the same brand motor.

He ended up throwing me a lowball offer for that Marathon motor, and I let him have it. He's always been really good to me when I need motor work, so why not.

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."