View Single Post
Old 03-24-2016, 09:38 PM
Skilled

What a stunning climax to those "continent" knives. I've got pictures of all of those saved and look at them frequently. I've often wonder where the idea to honor each continent came from... the imagination that took... perhaps a bit of late night good Scotch Whisky?

This miniature denouement is equally imaginative... why a miniature? One difference....the continent knives were stainless, this is not. The stainless continent knives contain a secret.

From Gaddis, p. 215:

"An interesting sidelight... was supplied by Gary Randall. .. During the late 1960s.... a steel company sent Randall a sample bar of 440C stainless steel. The company salesman was interested in getting the Randall shop to switch from its standard 440B forging stock to this higher-carbon 440C.

The sample bar was too wide for use on Model 14 blades, yet too narrow and thin for the big Smithsonian Bowie, so they decided to forge Model 12, 8-inch Bear Bowie and Model 12, 9-inch Sportsman Bowie blades from it. Gary remembered Randall getting about 15 Bear and maybe six Sportsman Bowie blades from this sample. These were marked with the usual "S" stamp to denote a stainless blade, just like the regular 440B ones. So there are a few Randall bowies out in customers' hands that are a bit more difficult to sharpen than would normally be expected..."

Guess what. All seven of the "continent" Bear bowies were very likely to have been in that group of Bears with blades of 440C stock. I actually found apparent confirmation some years ago, and forgot where I filed it... it had do with documentation why he chose Bears for this series and when the Bears were acquired . .. which was years before he finished the work. Still, it is a cool footnote to an amazing series of knives. Thanks for sharing this Rick... I had no idea.

Last edited by Jacknola; 03-25-2016 at 09:31 AM.