View Single Post
Old 03-25-2017, 03:48 PM
Guru

Thanks Stuart.

I appreciate the feedback. Guess I'll just stick with the 1084 the college has and 15N20 for Damascus as the 15N20 is going to make it tough anyway. It's a shame 1095 is as picky as it is, but Andrew Garrett's peanut oil is quite thin and would be a fast quench medium for a steel like 1095. Has a higher flash point than Parks 50 to boot.

Mr. Garrett I searched the internet high and low for Parks 50 and the only place I could find it was Heatbath/Park Metallurgical, but their website says industrial only, but you could call them or email them.
http://heatbath.com/heat-treating-pr...ed-quenchants/
They have water based equivalents to oil quenchants as well, but list no prices online.

I cannot believe how hard it is to find it, found a place called Rye Oil that sells an equivalent, but the price is listed as 45 pounds for 25 liters which is about 6 1/2 gallons. I presume they're in Britain. You may have to stick with Peanut Oil since Maxim stopped carrying it.

You can ask Damon where or what he bought for his new quenching tank and Paragon oven.