View Single Post
Old 06-13-2022, 09:27 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Ed Caffrey Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Caffrey
The Newst shop toy!

I've secretly thought about this for a long time, and recently I was in a place where I could afford it... so after using a friend's..... took the plunge.

The New Induction Forge.....

Setup on the cart, and with the required TIG cooler on the bottom.

The machine heats via magnetic induction, must constantly have coolant (distilled water) running through the machine/coils, and has a and on/off foot switch.

I order coils from a gentleman in Canada... and found you can touch one coil....but if you cross two.. it arcs, and if it repeats in the same spot.... will make a hole in the coil and spray water everywhere. To that end, I made a slurry of 3000F kiln cement, and dipped each coil in as a test... and found it to have no impact on how the coil heats, yet it prevent metal to metal contact, there by eliminating any arcing!

Why? Its simply crazy how quickly this thing heats! A 1" wide X 1/4" thick piece of 1084 goes from dead cold, to literally burning (sparkling) in about 70 seconds! And after the steel has been heated once, that time is literally cut in half. To forging heat, it's typically 30-45 second, and the reheat takes again, half that time. Here are the first three blades I forged completely with the induction forge.....

Following are some random pics of coils and a rack that I made for/placed on the machine.....

If anybody has questions, just let me know. I'm still very new to the machine....so am just learning, but it's a fun ride!

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."