View Single Post
Old 02-17-2019, 10:44 PM
Skilled

Some time ago before my sabbatical, I received this final communication from LTC Steve. He relates finding letters from COL Compton that seem to imply COL Compton assisted Bo Randall in smithing early fighter blades, and may have participated in the development of the original fighter. He may have even helped make his own knife.... pictures of which are shown early in this line.

Also another letter confirms he carried his WWII knife with him into combat in the closing days of WWII. COL Steve asked, and I can easily imagine it further enhances the value of that blade. I'm relating this because it is of historical interest defining his knife and the construction or those early fighters. Here is what COL Steve wrote:

"Jack – I was going through some of COL Compton’s correspondence as I decide what we need to save for the family history and I ran into two very interesting letters he wrote to Bo. COL Compton was an accomplished iron worker. In fact, the communion rail in the old post chapel at Fort Sill was made by him when he was stationed there. That background leads to the interesting bits…

"In the March 1949 letter, he alludes to his collaboration with Bo on the knives. 'I am glad to hear that the knife business is still good and that you have such a fine helper. No doubt he is better than I but no more willing.'

"Interesting…. Then, in the May 1949 letter comes the most fascinating comment: 'I was very much struck with that line of knives you are making now and wish I had been there on the development of the others besides the fighting knife.'

"Wow… Do you have any perspective on this given your research? Finally, the letter also confirmed COL Compton carried the knife in WWII when he mentions Germany."

This is some good stuff. Hope the early Randall historians find this of interest.

Last edited by Jacknola; 02-17-2019 at 10:50 PM.