View Single Post
Old 10-18-2006, 09:01 PM
Hall of Famer

Brett, when you use a milling cutter or end mill, you want the tool as close to the bottom spindle bearing as possible. The amount you move the spindle down to the work is called "tool overhang". So instead of having too much overhang by lowering the spindle you either lower the work head or raise the knee/table.

Too much spindle overhang causes the cutter to deflect, grab, chatter and other bad affects.

Now I'm not saying the machine you found won't work, I'm simply saying a knee mill is better if you can find or afford one.

One other way to prevent excessive overhang is to use a riser block or parallels under the work piece to raise the work up and lessen spindle overhang.

You've seen the tilting table I use on my milling machine. When it's indicated in level it makes a great riser block.

There are at least 101 different ways to do anything in a machine shop.

Whatever you do, buy a machine with an R8 collet spindle.

If I can help you with milling or anything else, I'm just an email away. In the meantime, these questions and answers on the forum help others to learn.

Good questions.

By the way, don't tell anyone, but on the first day of an apprentice's training I used to tell them all that "There are 101 different ways to do anything, but you do it exactly the way I tell you or I'll fire you!

Last edited by Don Robinson; 10-20-2006 at 08:01 AM. Reason: edited 5C collet to R8 collet