View Single Post
Old 10-18-2006, 03:53 AM
Skilled

help me choose a mill.

hi guys, i have decided i want a mill, i could try to say need but after all we dont need any of the fancy tools but gee do i want one.
anyway, my biggest problem is a lack of options here in the land down under.
i plan on useing it for the general stuff, and for milling integral bolsters on folders and hopefully fully integral blades. may even try milling the bevels like don robinson does. So this makes me think i might want to go a bit more heavy duty than the standard mini mill.
i have seen one on ebay that looks alright for 1300AUD (aprox 980USD) i know nothing about mills so was hopeing you guys might be able to help. i dont intend on buying untill maybe march or later because i dont have any where neer that kind of cash, so luckily i have a long time to look.

here is the one im considering, what do you think? http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ZX30-MILLING-...QQcmdZViewItem

the same seller also has a mini mill for about half the price but im not sure if its going to be a bit small for some serious use. he also sells a combo, lathe/mill/drill for about the same as this mill which im considering, is there any disadvantage to haveing the lathe?? curently im thinking its like getting a free lathe.

look forward to any help you guys can give,
brett

Australian knife maker extraordinaire