View Single Post
Old 04-20-2022, 07:09 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Ed Caffrey Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Caffrey
Quote:
Originally Posted by M&J View Post
Both carbon and stainless. The prior belts were ceramic hoggers. Those seemed good though open to others.
There was a time when I would recommend Norton Blaze belts, but the horsed them up by putting some silly "anti-friction" coating back, and all it does is build up on the platen and create a mess.... OH! And they also jacked up the price to stupid expensive.

Personally, for my heavy grit belts, right now, I use VSM KX760X in 50 grit. I've never understood folks who make additional work for themselves by starting out with a 36 grit, and then needing a 60, 80-120, etc to get down to the fine finish. With the 50 grit, it hogs plenty of material, yet I can jump straight to a 220 grit, and easily get the 50 grit scratches out.... can't do that with a 36 grit.

I am constantly trying new belts, always seeking something that offers the best cost to use ratio I can find. I generally encourage folks to try 1-2 of a "new" belt each time they order.... that way you can try new (to you) products, and discover belts that you might not otherwise.

If you don't take anything away from my inputs, take this.... Buy your belts from someplace such as Tru-Grit (actually, there isn't any other place like Tru-Grit).... if you buy from general knife supply outfits, all you're doing is paying 30+% more then you have to. I also have a burr under my saddle for al these johnny come lately outfits that claim to sell "Our own brand" of abrasives..... these are nothing but China made junk, that are under made, and way over priced.

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."