View Single Post
Old 12-12-2019, 07:28 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&J View Post
Do you have a price range in mind?
That's really the bottom line. What are you looking for?

This is interesting to me b/c I have been going through some of the same thought process recently. Here are some good considerations/suggestions:

1. Don't go for the big block-o-knives sets - buy the individual components. You really won't use most of them anyway. I read this from multiple sources and upon review concluded that this was spot on. I have two knife block sets on my counter top and I only really use two knives out of them - the good chef's knife and the 4-inch paring knife.

2. Stay away from the big-name German brands (eg. Wustoff, Henckels, etc.). If you want something similar with good steel and cheap go with something like Mercer (look on Amazon).

3. A 6" chef's knife is much more useful than a 10" chef's knife. I have the latter and it's just too big for most common tasks.

I got a lot of useful info from the "Burrfection" channel on YouTube. This guy is a professional knife sharpener and has good insight on kitchen cutlery. He can be a little wacky, but there seems to be some real gems if you listen closely.

If I were building a knife set from scratch today I would probably get the following:

1. 6-8 inch chef's knife
2. a 4-inch paring knife
3. a 5-inch utility knife
4. another 6-inch knife like a small chefs or santoku (offset handle for chopping).

the next two knives would be:

5. a good serated bread knife
6. heafty kitchen shears (aka. scissors from hell).

Hope this helps.

-b