View Single Post
Old 05-18-2021, 05:56 PM
Steel Addict

OK, here's my first attempt at Canister and following Ed's directions. I think it turned out pretty good. I "think" I understand what we're seeing. See the "islands" of solid brighter just above the patterns? I think that is the meteorite that is 6% nickel making it etch really bright. The patterns are the bits of Damascus I cut up and dropped in. The solid dull grey is the 1084 powder to fill the empty places. I "think" that's the case anyway. All in all, I think we did a successful canister weld.

I "really" need to work on getting a pattern, but this Canister was just an attempt to see if I could get it to weld. I started with 1-1/4" OD square tube with 1/8" walls and about 4" long. I cleaned a few scrapes of Damasic I had, cut up into small pieces and dropped into canister. Put 3 smallish pieces of Campo meteorite in the upper section, welded it all up good and put into forge. I didn't rust inside of square tube, white out, or anything. I allowed the canister to weld solid as one billet. Then ground over 1/8" of outside off to be sure I got all the mild steel. This is the result.