View Single Post
Old 01-21-2021, 07:00 AM
Steel Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipndale View Post
To a novice at Randall knives (as I am), it also would appear that Bob may have continued this error in attributing other knives to the Korean War era (early 50's). I'm referring to the knives and sheaths on Pg. 37 and 39 in "Randall Military Models". Was there also an error identifying these? The sheath on page 37 t seem to have similar features to that of the light brown Heiser sheath in my original post. (ie. the diagonal strap and small pocket flap). Bobs comment on pg 36 that "the diagonal keeper distinguishes this Heiser from other period sheaths." "Thought to be of later production, there are many examples of this type of sheath design seen throughout the 50's." Was this also incorrect?
The general rule of thumb is the handle keeper was phased out in the mid-50's, maybe 1954-55, on many models. That is not to say that you may not get one some time later as the shop generally did not use a first in first out policy. So for a period, you could get handle or diagonal keeper. I don't know exactly what Bob meant with his statement you quote, but I doubt that the change in keeper style took very long to become the staple. Some models still use the handle keeper to this day.

IF you look at the combo on pigs 33-34, you will see the handle keeper and a narrower stone pouch flap. Then on page 30-31, you will see the classic late 40's to early 50's sheath with wde flap and handle keeper.

There was often overlap of various lengths of time when the shop made changes.

Ron -

I reviewed some photos, and it seems to be a stretch to put the knife in the Korean War with that sheath. If the date wasn't on the blade/sheath, I think you would agree that knife would be mid-50's at the earliest. In other words, post war.