Thread: New oven
View Single Post
Old 03-04-2017, 02:38 PM
Guru

I understand Erik, but you can use your house stove to temper immediately, those oven thermometers you can buy are fairly cheap and very accurate. We were a machine shop and it's what we used, boss brought his old oven from home one day and we had an electric tempering oven. Never trusted it until we got the temp gage though. There's toaster ovens too, but they are unreliable.

I'm not an expert on 440C but I would never leave O1 or D2 sitting all night without at the least putting them in the freezer between 2 pieces of dry ice at home. Not cryo'd, but will not crack before temper in morning, but maybe 440C is ok to leave overnight. Some others could weigh in here. Maybe just putting them in your freezer is OK. I remember reading about guys that did that back in the 90s until they could temper them.

To cryo with dry ice you need a thick ice chest (4" thick styrofoam) and leave it in there for 3 days minimum and still not as good as liquid nitrogen. Just a whole lot cheaper, but it does give the blades added toughness which means you can temper them to a higher hardness. RC60 is 10x harder than RC59. With a beautiful oven like your's I would do the best I could afford to be better at it. AEB-L needs a dry ice cryo , but doesn't need to soak, just drop to -95F.(dry ice is -109F) Seems like an easy steel to treat. RC 60 all day with toughness and cheaper than 440C.
Most of my HT experience is D2 and O1, with a few other types here and there like the AEB-L and 440C, plus some weird cobalt steel and aluminum and brass thrown in.