View Single Post
Old 01-27-2014, 05:42 PM
Steel Addict

Got my new drill press

After the possible mill/drill fell through, I picked my fall back. I'd been doing some reading on reviews of bench top drill presses and found a Jet 12" that had mechanical variable speed and a digital speed read out. It was rated pretty highly except for the 1/3 hp motor (could bog a bit with forstner bits), but I don't plan on using one for big stuff.

When looking for the drill press, I stumbled onto what apparently is a clone of the Jet, under the name Masterforce, sold by Menard's. I had to pay shipping since I don't live close to a store, but it was still a ways cheaper than the Jet and so far seems to be a great buy.

I assembled it all which was pretty easy and a little tap on the table got it square with the spindle. I remember watching Steve at his hammer in changing speeds several times during his demo. The variable speed is REALLY nice, no need to open the top up and change the pulleys and seeing the speed should be nice for using the small bits and reamers and drilling Ti along with other materials. The table top isn't as highly polished as some higher end tables are, but all in all, I'm pretty pleased with the purchase.

Thanks to everyone who gave some advice when I was looking for help on drill presses.

Jeremy