View Single Post
Old 05-24-2021, 11:40 AM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyO View Post
On a related note (this is a how-to, right?)

When doing cans, are there steels that should be avoided because they don't weld? Specifically, I'm thinking of using short lengths of some sort of stainless steel jewelry wire or some other nickel silver wire of different diameters to try for a shooting star going across the sky...
What type of wire would you recommend that would stay bright after the etch?
Thanks.
Ed will be along to give more intelligent answers than me but as far as what to avoid I can help a little. The nickel should do fine I have not ever forge welded any but some makers I know of use it in their Damascus just remember if you use it you will be adding a non-hardening metal to your knife billet. As far as stainless goes (TO MY KNOWLEDGE) the lower carbon steels weld better than the higher carbon. 416-410 etc but they take a longer time at welding heat but so does canister. That would be my main concern trying it. I like the idea of stainless wire in a can I think that could look really cool so I will be following this one for sure please let us know if it works out. I am sure you know this already but in that situation I would use powdered steel without added nickel powder. That contrast should rock if it works. Good luck.