View Single Post
Old 01-03-2012, 09:31 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Ed Caffrey Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Caffrey
It's getting out of control....and it's just sad

This morning while making my daily internet rounds, I came across another forum where an individual had apparently written a letter to one of the Knife Mags. I've not read the letter or the magazine, but it seems to have started a "bashing" thread, wherein everyone is demanding of the individual whom the letter was written about..... saying that with "extraordinary claims", there should be "extraordinary "proof".

What proof are they looking for? There was mention of metallurgy, and scientific testing.....but I have to believe that those who scream for that sort of thing would first of all not be able to comprehend the so called "proof" if it were in front of their face(s), and most of them wouldn't have a clue of how to incorporate the so called "proof" it if they did understand it, due to their lack of experience.
Secondly, I have to wonder if it's just not a jealousy thing, and those who are doing the bashing are needing to boost their own egos, or possibly looking for a way to "shortcut" their journey to produce a quality knife.

Either way, it angers me, and it's just sad. The individual they are bashing is a very well known Bladesmith, who's knives I have personally tested, and without reservation, can say are the best cutting, toughest blades I have ever seen/tested (including my own). Further more, I've tried to implement that individual's techniques/methods, and simply cannot achieve the same results....and no amount of documented "proof" can/could ensure that I would be able to.

Why am I writing this? First, to commend the folks on this forum for NOT doing that sort of thing, and to give a piece of advice......nothing in life is a "gime" particularly when it comes to Bladesmithing/Knifemaking.....if your not willing to do your homework, experiment, and/or prove what does and does not work for yourselves, you're certainly not going to achieve anything by bashing on others, or demanding empirical evidence.

I wanted so badly to jump into that thread....but knew it would be like trying to teach a pig to fetch......it wastes my time, and annoys the "pig".
This sort of thing is becoming all too common these days. It's getting out of control, and it's sad that "keyboard warriors" have no restraint, nor any respect for those who have given so much to the knife world.
While we all have our own techniques and "standards", it is imperative that we show the same respect and civility sitting behind our keyboards, as we would in person. Nobody ever raised their own stature a single inch, by tearing down another. There is a very fine line between healthy debate, which for the most part is a good thing, and bashing on another to make yourself feel good or important.
Thanks to everyone here at KN for your civility, and respect for others!

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."