View Single Post
Old 01-03-2008, 08:17 PM
Master

In my experience, No, it wont work, at least not for long. It will hold up for light duty use, for awhile, but not for any serious forge. Unless it is a hard refractory tile made specifically for such use it will crack and melt. Ceramic tile for floors, etc is low-fire, not even stone-ware, much less refractory. Any brick & Block supplier will have the ordinary hard yellow fire brick as used to line fireplaces, etc. Much better; even this is not all that good. You really need a high temp refractory material. Chat up all the potters you can and haunt the ceramics supply houses, the materials sold for use in constructing Kilns are more what you need. If you can find a potter who has some broken kiln shelves, they work well. The hard silicon carbide shelves are best, but no longer generally available. The Alum Oxide shelves are OK, eventually a forge will eat them. Do some Google research for refractories, paying attention to CERAMICS and Industrial Heat
Treating. This is where you will find the goodies. I have had good results with home made moldable refractories using common FIRE CLAY. The same Brick & block suppliers sell dry fire-clay dry in bags to mix half & half with mortar mix for use in fireplaces by commercial masons. IF you have a lot of free tile I would bust it up into gravel (OK, OK coarse GROG) and mix it with refractory cement to make a ramable plastic refractory. As I have said many times in Fora, the POTTERS are your friends. Get to know them and their suppliers and all their wondertful catalogs.