View Single Post
Old 02-21-2013, 08:19 PM
Steel Addict

The folks who do this kind of work keep it a closely guarded secret as too ingredients and process.

Research in the subject tells me two things.

Number one those who have worked out there own process have worked long and hard and had many failures.they usually have a lot tied up in the experimentation. So they keep there results closely guarded.

The second thing is; if you are worried that much about the process getting out, it may not be a hard to do as most think.

However having made that last statement I will say this. I was a carpenter for years and made custom furniture and sometimes the cost of sitting up to do a process unless you are doing a lot of it, can be very cost preventative! Sometimes the start up costs out way the bottom dollar you will be able to recover under any short term use! MHO

Note: their are some folks out there who will stabilize wood for you at a decent price. Sometimes that just beats having to pay for and deal with chemicals that can cause all sorts of problems, as well as the equipment you will need to set up and do the process!

With every custom knife I build I try to accomplish three things. I want that knife to look so good you just have to pick it up, feel so good in your hand you can't wait to try it, and once you use it, you never want to put it down !
If I capture those three factors in each knife I build, I am assured the knife will become a piece that is used and treasured by its owner!

C Craft

Last edited by C Craft; 02-21-2013 at 08:23 PM.