Thread: bamboo scales
View Single Post
Old 08-29-2007, 09:33 AM
Living Legend

I've used a bamboo cutting board on a recent knife & it work out fine. Be ware of the boards for flooring, both Home Depot & Lowe's stocked boards are only one layer laminated over particle board. Solid bamboo is special order only. By the way solid bamboo is still a laminated board & not one piece of bamboo. Also there are two different ways of putting the boards together, one with the "face" of the bamboo up and the other with the edge/interior up. I like both so it is personal choice.

If you have a Ross Dress for Less, Tuesday Morning or other discount store they often carry the boards at really low prices. I tried at several places that sell hardwood flooring & I couldn't talk anyone out of just one board but you might have better luck.

It burns really easy; I mean REALLY, REALLY easy, use new belts & hand sand in the finer grits. It also splinters easier than most natural woods. You must use a backing board (I do normally) & I left some extra material to sand down later for the slivers the bit chipped out. I also had a piece split when I drilled a hole to fit like I do for unstabilized woods & it was a tight fit for the pin.....which split the wood of course. If you buff it use white rough or a clear sealer with a polish compound in it, I used carnauba wax. The surface picked up a lot of the green rough when I buffed it & I had to resand it.

Jim

Edit - here is the one with bamboo I did recently for a KITH. It's a modernized Japanese vegetable knife

Last edited by Drac; 08-29-2007 at 10:37 AM.